Dashboard cleaner/conditioner

Good point.

And good for dry skin. :slight_smile:

Oh boy. Everybody trying to save a dime. Baby oil is actually good for cleaning stainless steel to get the finger prints off but does leave an oily residue. Unless you have a Delorean, why bother putting that junk on your dash? Not to mention spilling it on the seats or clothes. When I was a kid, a friend used to use brake fluid on his Corvette tires to dress them up. Maybe that would work on a dash?

1 Like

Some before pics.

Of course it looks better. Mobil 1 would have made it look just as good but Iā€™d never put it on my dash. I donā€™t use newspapers to clean my windows either.

1 Like

You like to see things that arenā€™t there.

I did not post it to show an improvement.

Just a before pic. (As in b4 the experiment begins.)

After a couple of weeks in the hot Texas sun, I will post some AFTER pics and include the inside windshield as well.

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m not a lawyer. I donā€™t like reading for detail. I missed the before line.

Not a problem.

Baby oil is just mineral oil with that ā€˜babyā€™ scent added (same smell as baby powder). Since itā€™s usually cheaper as long as Iā€™m not ingesting it I use the babyā€¦ Disappointed it isnā€™t pressed from real babies.

Mineral oil was a torture device: tie people up, force a pint down their throats, it comes out the other end, carrying some of what it found along the way and lubricating the evacuation of other stuff, in their pants, no matter how hard they squeeze. Orwell mentions it in passing (har!) along with the rubber hose.

Some food company manufactured an indigestible oil to make low-fat, low-calorie fried chips, Olestra. It had the same effect as mineral oil, which kept it from being popular.

In 30 years Iā€™ve done nothing to clean my dashboard other than occasional wipe with a cloth to get the dust off. I guess I donā€™t care.

I care because a friend with a Toyota has a dash with many cracks in it.

I am thankful I have covered parking.

At stores etc., I do what my brother used to do.

Park way out on the outskirts to minimize dings.

Use a cover inside the windshield. It keeps sunlight from getting in through the front. If you can park with the windscreen facing south, sunlight will never get on the dashboard. Even if the dash heats up enough to outgas any significant amount, it will land on the windshield cover.

Thanks for the appetizing comment. I guess I never fully read 1984.

Iā€™m just trying to remember the last time I had a crack in a dashboard. I actually donā€™t think I ever did in the last 30 years or so. Some sat out during the day and others in covered parking. I did have an issue with the Olds cracking at a corner. I tried that dash crack filler stuff with limited success. Problem is matching the color. You mix it to the correct color but then have to apply heat to cure it. When you do, the shade changes so it doesnā€™t match anymore. Mostly I had a problem with the leather cracking on the console cover after 20 some years on the road. That one I fixed with the same dash repair kit but then sprayed it with the proper SEM leather stain. Worked pretty good. Not as good as having it re-upholstered but cheaper. I think at the point that my dash would be that bad, I would refinish it with the SEM spray. They have factory matching colors (but you have to buy the color chips to figure out what color to order).

At any rate Iā€™ll just continue to use the Meguire product.

The last time that I had a car with a cracked dashboard was when I owned a '74 Karmann Ghia. After ~4 years, it developed a very deep and wide crack in the vinyl.

I used to work with somebody who owned one of the original-design Civics sold in The US. I remember him telling me that Honda sent him a spray bottle of Armor All, and they stated that this product must be used in order to avoid a cracked dashboard. Apparently they were already running into warranty claims for that issue, and this was their attempt to circumvent those claims.

He did use the Armor All, and he never did wind up with cracks in his Civicā€™s dashboard, but he surely did complain about the overly oily/glossy appearance of the dashboard, as well as the fact that thisā€¦stuffā€¦caused the dashboard to accumulate more dust than it did before he used it.

No outgassing so far butā€¦

In places where I put the mineral oil, it acts like a mirror and reflects sunlight into the inside windshield.

Will get a rag with soap and water and try to wipe it off. :frowning:

like what I think @jtsanders is saying, I use a dashboard cover. Itā€™s fabric, looks nice, cuts way down on the glare (I only buy black ones,) and protects my dash. I use it mostly for the glare reduction.

No, I was thinking about a windshield sun shade if that name describes it better for you, @eddo.

1 Like

There are vinyl treatments that unfortunately do that, too. Super glossy. Makes the dash annoying.

Using a dashboard cover is an excellent idea. :slight_smile:

I can sew and will make my own.