Damaged tire ok to use?

I currently run cup 2 tires that have less than 500 miles.
Left tire has been damaged due to understeer. Is this tire still usable at track? I haven’t had a situation where a chunk of tire came off.

That tire is unsafe.

The steel cords are showing.

Tester

4 Likes

I cannot imagine a safety inspector ever allowing you on track with that tire, even if it’s just a lunch time tour lap.

3 Likes

+1
However, if the OP drives to the track rather than trailering his mystery vehicle, I think it is likely that he wouldn’t even make it as far as the track.

2 Likes

I have trouble with someone wanting to do Track Day with a tire that has any kind of damage .

3 Likes

That tire isn’t safe to take on the road let alone on a track. It needs replacing right now.

You need more negative camber, more air pressure and someone who can teach you to moderate the understeer so you don’t destroy tires like that.

+1
I find it mind-boggling that somebody would even be asking about the safety of a tire that already has its cords exposed.

When I pointed out a similar situation to a non car-oriented female co-worker many years ago, I could understand her initial lack of understanding, but if somebody considers himself enough of a “car guy” to be engaging in track days, this is something that should already be a part of his automotive knowledge.

1 Like

It’s usable if you feel your life needs to be over PDQ. And on a track to boot? Charles Bronson did a series of movies aptly titled. “Death Wish”

A casual friend of mine died about 20+ years ago at the local dirt race track so this is a very dicey issue to me. Tire blew out, car crashed and caught on fire, he was trapped, and track management refused to hose him down with the water tanker. He was burned alive over a blown tire; and that tire was good to begin with.
Think about that while pondering your tire tread…

4 Likes

And after only 500 miles. The OP may want to work on the understeer problem before killing more expensive tires.

1 Like

My dad sent me out to visit Grandma with a tire like that. I objected but he said it would be fine. About 8 miles into the 10 mile trip it went flat. I think he just wanted me to do the tire changing.

3 Likes

Experience is the best teacher.

1 Like

Hell no. That is not a useable tire

3 Likes

I smell troll. Is it even possible to chew up a new tire in 500 miles??

If you race the car, the hell you can’t!

Tester

Yes, it can be quite easy. The tire he is showing is a soft, sticky performance tire. It also has been overheated accelerating the wear.

A Michelin Pilot Sport 4, I think.

Tester

1 Like

First, I want to thank all the folks who got the correct answer. Racing is tough on components, so racing using any component that is problematic is foolish - Darwin Award territory!

Second, those aren’t the steel belts. Those are the nylon cap plies over top of the steel belts, that resist the centrifugal force of the spinning tire.

That tire also has a chunkout in the second rib - possibly from blistering the tread rubber. Another reason to not use it!

And yes, it is quite possible to use up (wear out) a tire in 500 miles - particularly racing. Reference NASCAR and F1!

And lastly, I am quite sure the OP knew that correct answer, but was hoping he was wrong - and posted here hoping to find some kind of expertise. He did!