Took a small chunk out of the tire. Continue driving or replace?

I stupidly took a corner too tight yesterday and managed to take a small chunk out of the tire. My concern is that 4 cords are exposed, though none are damaged. I’ve received one “replace it” and one “don’t worry about it” from two different tire shops in my area. I was going to bring it to the dealer service center to get their opinion and possibly get them to replace it. Sadly they can’t get me in for an appointment for two weeks (and they’re the only ones with the OEM tires too). Of course it’s a Subaru, though thankfully only 11,000 miles on it, so I might be able to get away with only 1 tires replacement if need be.

I have some photos of the damage up at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zu0dtzs03udvfja/AADGHy7Bs8032F6r2brv_jw3a

Replace

exposed cords = goner

Whatever you do, do NOT ever return to the tire shop that told you it is okay to drive around with a tire whose cords are exposed. That is just so wrong as to almost defy the imagination.

Replace the tire.

I’m in full agreement with db4690 and VDCdriver.

Why in the world a tire shop of all places would say motor on with impunity is baffling to say the least.

With only 11k miles on the clock you should be able to get by with just one tire anyway; and not from the shop who said things are ducky. :slight_smile:

It’s toast.

I really can’t imagine a reputable tire shop saying that is OK.

^
Precisely, Bing!
Unless the person who gave that advice at the tire shop is the guy who just sweeps the floor, I would be extremely concerned about the level of expertise at that shop.

they must not have had that tire in stock…

ok4450 “Why in the world a tire shop of all places would say motor on with impunity is baffling to say the least.”

That is what I was thinking. I clipped a curb with my right rear. There was a 1 inch cut in the sidewall so I was thinking toast. It was not leaking so I drove a few blocks at 25mph to the tire shop. The manager looked into the cut with a bright LED flashlight. He said there were no cords exposed so it was cosmetic damage. By my logic if someone who’s business is selling tires tells me I don’t need one I should believe them. As my tires were nearing replacement I would have bought 4. 2,000 miles later I did.

The dealer should measure the tire wear before they replace the damaged tire. 11k miles may not have appreciable wear but those systems are particularly sensitive to differences. If the wear is more than allowed by the manufacturer’s specifications, you should be aware that it is possible to shave the new tire down to match. It’s important to be armed with knowledge so you know if they are doing the right thing. Trust, but verify…

Tire Rack can ship you a shaved tire if necessary, at least the last time I checked.

Yeah, 10k is enough miles where I’d be concerned about different diameter on the new one, since you have a Subaru. You might google ‘tire shaving yourcity’ to see if shops there can shave the new one to match the old one.

Also surprising to me is how long it’ll take to get it into the dealer…wow…

My brother-in-law did that to a farm wagon which was used to feed his turkeys out on the range. He soon developed a bulge and quickly replaced the tire, even though the wagon never went more that walking pace.

Yes, replace the tire A.S.A.P!

I can only add that I totally agree that a tire with exposed cords should be replaced immediately. It is definitely unsafe. Its ability to withstand impact, heat, and constant flexing has been seriously compromised.

Do you guys really think this tire should be replaced?

Me too. @mrjoemac, you and your family are worth far more than one or even two tires.

I will address the part about why it takes so long to get into the dealer. There’s both pro and con sides to it.

The con side is that it is inconvenient for the customer. The customer needs their car repaired ASAP and waiting a week, 2 weeks, or more is inconvenient and frustrating.

The pro side is from the mechanic standpoint. A shop (dealer or ind.) SHOULD be booked well in advance. This assures a constant workload for the mechanics which keeps them both busy and happy. Morale is much higher in a situation like this.
Especially so with dealers, many of them think that if someone can’t get their car in immediately they need to hire more help, start turning work away, etc, etc. Very quickly this leads to idle time and no work at all.

In turn, that leads to another con which is mechanics getting surly over no work. Tension can get to the point where it could be cut with a knife in times like that. That in turn leads to turnover in help, mechanics not giving a crap about that one job they got all day, and so on. Morale is herded out the door at gunpoint… :frowning:

I agree that the tire needs to be replaced. My wife slid into a curb in some snow, came home and told me to check the car. One of her tires had damage almost identical to yours. I replaced the tire(s) the next day.

I’d put the damaged tire on the rear while waiting for the replacement.