Current Puzzler

This is the Military Alphabet

Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel, India, Juliett, Kilo, Lima, Mike, November, Oscar, Papa, Quebec, Romeo, Sierra, Tango, Uniform, Victor, Whiskey, X-ray, Yankee, Zulu.

The only thing that puzzles me is why there are so many new phonetic alphabets, what was wrong with the tried and proven one in the Puzzle, it is the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) (French Spelling…) Phonetic Alphabet and is used Internationally and it is listed above in this “Puzzle…”

But the Police seem to need a whole new one…

Adam, Baker, Charlie, David, Edward, Frank, George, Henry, Ida, John, King, Lincoln, Mary, Nancy, Otto, Peter, Queen, Robert, Susan, Thomas, Union, Victor, William, X-Ray, Young, and Zebra

And if you have ever call for technical support; you will probably be given another new one…

Adam, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Easy, Frank, George, Henry, Ida, John, King, Lincoln, Mary, New York, Ocean, Peter, Queen, Roger, Sugar, Thomas, Union, Victor, William, X-Ray, Young, and Zero

So, all I have to say is, “Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot…”

2 Likes

So what the heck was the puzzle anyway? Never mind, I really don’t want to know.

What bothers me though is when zeros and “o” s are included in model or parts numbers etc. and you have guess which it is. Fooled me a number of times when they have both letters and numbers. Is it so difficult to just use the slash for zeros? On a navigation software update they had about ten zeros that you had to punch in. I called and asked what they were and the guy said we don’t use any letters. Gee, where does it say that?

1 Like

I make them up as I go along, b as in bark, a as in also, r as in rivet, k as in kilo, y as in young, d as in dog, o as in oscar, g as in grand. My bad! Now try x as in xylophone :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I can’t spell for crap and I hate hearing S = Sierra, don’t use a word that sounds like it should start with a C for S!!! I know that it starts with an S but when I am writing down a 17 digit VIN number I have to catch myself from writing down a C before I remember it is a S… :man_facepalming:

1 Like

So, is Bond, James Bond, zero, zero seven or oh, oh seven?

1 Like

I don’t know how different agencies handle “O’s” & “0’s”, but Florida State license plates do not use “O’s” at all. If there is a(an) “0” it will only ever be the number “0”.

Everyone under age 40 also thinks it’s a C because of the pop artist Ciara :man_facepalming:t2:

Ha ha, I had to Google Ciara to see what/who you were talking about…

I also have no idea who Ciara is and I shall continue to not know.

1 Like

“S” as in Ciera.

2 Likes

H as in Honest
K as in Knife
P as in Pterodactyl
X as in Xylophone

1 Like

I’d forgotten about the Olds Gutless Ciera… lol
That is probably why I get mixed up, I remember working in a lot of those…

1 Like

Some fonts 1 and l (l as in lime) I (I as in Indigo) look the same!

2 Likes

I am over 40, well over 40, and when I think of “Sierra” I think about the movie, “Sierra”, that came out the same year I was born, 1950… It stared Audie Murphy, one of my childhood heroes. And he was a real life hero, Medal of Honor recipient for action during WWII.

As much respect as I had for John Wayne, the only action he ever saw was on a Sound stage portraying service members. He even filed for a 3-A draft deferment, which meant that as the sole provider for his family of four, it would cause his family undue hardship; even though he was an established “A” listed actor in Hollywood and a very wealthy millionaire by then.

Other actors and Hollywood personalities that did not seek some type of deferment were:

Mel Brooks served as an combat engineer diffusing land mines ahead of troop advances.

James Stewart joined the US Air Force in 1941. He flew and commanded many bombing missions over Germany and Nazi-occupied Europe. After the war, Stewart remained in the Air Force Reserve, eventually rising to the rank of brigadier general.

Kirk Douglas joined the US Navy in 1941. He served as a communications officer in anti-submarine warfare and received a medical discharge due to war injuries in 1944.

Clark Gable enlisted at the advanced age of 43, stationed in England and flew combat missions as an observer-gunner.

Paul Newman joined the US Navy after completing high school in 1943 and served as a radio operator and turret gunner on aircraft carriers in the Pacific theatre.

Lee Marvin enlisted in the United States Marine Corps in 1942 and served in the 4th Marine Division as a scout sniper in the Pacific Theater during World War II. He participated in 21 Japanese islands landings and was wounded in action on June 18, 1944, during the assault on Mount Tapochau in the Battle of Saipan, during which most of his company were casualties. He was hit by machine gun fire, which severed his sciatic nerve, and then was hit again in the foot by a sniper. Marvin was given a medical discharge with the rank of private first class. He previously held the rank of corporal, but had been demoted for troublemaking. That’s my type of guy…

There were many more, many more…

As for me, I am a 30-year Air Force Veteran and I served in Nam, Kosovo, and during Desert Shield/Desert Storm…

I have an idea that the current Hollywood crowd would not qualify anyway. I think norm was right all along and also think Patton had a good point. It would have upset the folks in the cabinet though.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree about: “Sierra”.

Living in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada range in California, Sierra is easy for me, and it’s a common name for all sorts of businesses and agencies too.

But maybe not so easy for people in Florida or Mozambique.

There are lots of other easy words for letter “s” that won’t sound like anything else:

stupid, salt, smile, sex, smell, speed, sound, sombrero, sunset, etc.

By the way, “righting” down a VIN, is actually writing…

Computer programmers sometimes have to say hexadecimal numbers when conversing with other programmers . These numbers have the digits from 0 to 9, but also A , B, C, D, E, & F.

So you might have to say the number 01AB. In my computer programming job years ago we’d say for that number: “zero one able baker”. For cde& f digits we’d use charlie, dog, easy, & fox as I recall. This company was a military contractor, so no idea why we didn’t use the military standard names, alpha, bravo, charilie, delta, echo, and foxtrot. .

1 Like

Ok you jarred my memory. In the book on tape “on wings of eagles” it is the story of Ross perots employees trying to break out of Iran when it fell. A very good true story on what they went through. At any rate when it was all over john Wayne told them you are the ones that I just play. I think he was bullied as a kid too until a neighbor adult took him under his wing and gave him advice on how to handle bullies. Must have stuck. A few karate moves and a bully landing on the ground with a surprised look on his face can do wonders.

Yeah I used to drive a lot so I’d usually have two or three books on tape checked out from the library before cds. On a four hour one way drive you can read a lot. Mysteries and bios mostly.