Crank Shaft Cradle leaking oil - Volkswagen Jetta

Last year I had carbon deposits cleaned on all 4 cylinders and fuel injectors replaced at a local shop. The same shop that did this work is now telling me that my crankshaft cradle needs to be resealed because it is leaking oil. There wasn’t an oil leak issue prior to the carbon cleaning and replacement of injectors and they were the last people under my hood. I am wondering if this leak could have been caused by faulty reassembly or other damage after cleaning the cylinders and replacing the fuel injectors? I have a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 with about 75,000 miles.

Do you see the leak? How much oil does it use? Why did they do the prior work?

I noticed oil around the area but didn’t know if it was simply spilled there or if it was an actual leak. I do not notice oil in parking spot or any significant leakage. I never add oil and it was at acceptable levels when I checked last. The prior work was done because the car was sputtering and loosing power while accelerating. Apparently, direct injected gasoline engines have this issue.

If you’re seeing no leaks and aren’t having to add oil, I’d just keep driving it, and checking the oil frequently.

Thank you for the response. Do you think the previous service could have caused a leak if it does exist?

Your mechanic is obligated to inform you of flaws discovered during inspection but you are not required to have them repaired. I doubt this has anything to do with replacing injectors or a top engine cleaning.

Is the front or rear crankshaft seal leaking? Ask the shop if this is leaking onto something that can be damaged by oil, like suspension bushings. You need more information to decide if this needs to be repaired.

Edit; it just occurred to me what a crankshaft cradle is, also called an engine bed plate. I doubt this leak is enough to be of interest to you.

My auto shop instructor – this was years ago – I remember he told the class that cleaning the exterior of the engine can cause oil leaks to start. The gunk where a small leak starts apparently can dry up and form a seal that would otherwise leak. I’ve never experienced that, but I suppose it could happen. I used to wash my truck’s engine at the diy car wash to keep the exterior of the engine clean and it never developed any oil leaks from that. Also there’s been some reports here of oil leaks occurring after owners switch from conventional to synthetic engine oil. Again, never happened to me.

I see no way that any carbon service or fuel injector replacement could lead to a leaking cradle or crank seals.

I didn’t know they had direct injection that year on that car?