Crank No Start Help

A few weeks ago my daughters car wouldn’t start, I checked voltage and it showed over 12 volts, I told her to crank it and it dropped to 4 volts… I jumped it and it started right up… Don’t over think it…

Good idea, so what was the issue?

She left a light on or something, been starting every since… Still going to replace the battery next Oil change mainly because it is from 2017…But so far hasn’t missed a lick since…

Start with what you know, and go from there. No need to over complicate this issue until necessary.

The battery is showing low charge (26%), low health (42%), and a date that is over 5 years old. You said it was super cold the night before the no start- which is a killer for batteries. Yes, the car may crank over, but I’d replace that battery as a first step. Get the known issue out of the way and then go from there.

2 Likes

That is correct.

Just to clarify, are we saying that a low battery that still operates the starter can cause a no start condition? I would have said no but I’m not a mechanic and success is success.

I had an Acura battery that barely made it three years before failing. The minute the cca reading starts gettin below 90% I just replace them. So I don’t trust Acura batteries any more than any other brand, and probably less.

Bottom line is a new battery is needed anyway so might as well give it a try. If it doesn’t work though be ready to tow it to a shop to diagnose the cause.

Who knows the state of charge of any new battery? If the car still doesn’t start, he’ll be discharging a new battery while working to diagnose the problem.

If this gets towed to a shop, he should ask them to put the battery on a charger and work on diagnosing the actual reason the car is not starting.

Have you ever had a low battery and it slowly roll your power windows up or down, the battery still worked the power window (electric) motor(s) but just not as fast… The starter (electric motor) can do the same thing, it can still turn the engine over but maybe a little slower, kind of between normal cranking and right before it clicks…

OP stated that they are not familiar with the sound of it cranking over yet, that tells me that OP doesn’t know if it is cranking at normal speed or not…

2 Likes

With low battery voltage the starter motor may still operate but if the voltage is below a certain threshold, the PCM won’t allow the engine to start or run.

1 Like

I put new batteries on a charger before first use. Though I only do my lawnmower and boat batteries, have had some with low charge straight off the shelf.

Well I jump started it successfully. So I guess I just need a new battery then? Or should I get a battery charger and let the old battery charge? But from the sound of what people are saying it needs to be replaced? I really appreciate everyone’s help!

2 Likes

Does the battery show the purchase date? More than 3 years, I would replace it.

Yes it does.

Tester

Your welcome…

2 Likes

State of health of 42% is bad, should be at least 70%. Recharging the battery may increase the state of health but not by much.

Yeah replace. And thanks for the low battery explanation. Always learning here.

1 Like

Congratulations, and thanks for keeping us informed! I, too, am surprised that a jump made a difference here.

If it were my car I would buy or borrow a battery charger and give it a slow overnight charge. Then test the battery.

Can you remove the 2 caps on top? If so you can 1) make sure the fluid is covering the plates; add water as needed and then charge the battery and 2) test the state of charge of each of the 6 cells using a hydrometer, which measures the specific gravity of the fluid in each cell. Batteries now often do not have removeable caps, and on them this diagnostic cannot be done.

Your battery is near its end if one or more cells does not accept or hold a charge. You’ll probably be wise to buy a new one before long. If you buy one, you’ll be glad you have a battery charger. It costs less than a battery and can help in many cases where a battery is questionable.

If you buy a new battery, give that a long slow charge, too, as Purebred suggests.

Before unhooking a battery, make sure you know what may be needed to wake up the car’s electronics, especially its alarm or radio/infotainment system. You can keep those memories alive with a little device that uses a 9V battery attached to your battery cables, if you are careful not to draw too much power from it with, say, headlamps or even interior bulbs.

Really??? Why???
Everyone one here said the battery was bad, but I’m the only one that thought jump starting a bad battery might start a vehicle with a bad battery???

BTW, A starter can drag (or heat soak) causing it not to start also, same thing, not turning the engine over fast enough to start the vehicle…
So just cause a starter spins an engine does not mean it’s good…

The electrical demand of the ignition system and fuel pump is quite small compared to what the starter motor demands. That plus experience tells me a battery that can run the starter motor can also make sparks and run a tiny electric motor.

Experience: a couple times while camping I’ve had a cooler run down the battery in my Honda - so much that the starter motor did not turn the engine over at all. My buddy pushed the car and while it was rolling I turned on the key to Run and let out the clutch with the trans in 2nd gear. Started right up - with a battery too weak to budge the starter motor.

I wonder if something more than a weak battery was involved in this crank-no-start problem.

1 Like

I missed that.