Intermittent Starter Problem

I drive a 2005 Acura TSX. Sometimes when I try to start the engine it cranks very slowly for a second or so and then just stops. Sounds like a dead battery. So I turn off the igintion and wait a couple seconds. Then I try it again and it cranks normally and starts right up. It doesn’t do this every time but it happens regularly. The dealer checked out the battery, alternator, starter, wiring, etc. and all check out OK. The dealer experienced the problem while they had it in their shop but they don’t know what is causing it. They want to tear down the engine to figure it out but I won’t let them. Any ideas? Thanks.
Bob

Don’t let them touch the engine. The problem is clearly in the starter/ekectrical system.

I had a similar problem, and the shop told me the starter had a “flat spot” , which sometimes causes it to slow down or not work at all. A new starter fixed the problem.

I would go to a good independent shop that specializes in auto electric work. They will diagnmose it corectly. I think the dealer is guessing and wants to dismantle your engine at your expense.

Does this slow crank condition happen when the engine is cold or when the engine is hot? I had this situation on a 1974 Monte Carlo that we once owned. It would start well even when the temperature was down to zero, but would crank over slowly when the engine had been shut off and I would try to start it when the engine was up to operating temperature. I replaced the battery to solve that problem.
In the old days of carbureted engines, a carbon build-up on the piston tops would cause the engine to crank slowly or not crank at all when the engine was hot, but would crank normally when the engine had cooled. However, with your modern Acura, this shouldn’t be the problem. Maybe the mechanic at the dealer is thinking of the old days.
I had a Ford Taurus with the hot crank problem that occured after I had the starter replaced at Western Auto. The service manager claimed not to be able to duplicate the problem. I went to an independent shop (first time I had ever been there) when the engine had been run at operating temperature and was shut off. It would barely crank for the mechanic. He disconnected the ignition and it would still barely crank. He then measured the current drawn by the starter and found that it was double what it should be. He noted this on the shop’s letterhead and told me to take it to Western Auto. After seeing this, Western Auto replaced the starter with no questions asked and that cured the problem The proprietor of the independent shop wouldn’t take any money for his service. I have now been a customer of this independent shop for 19 years.