Cost for a CD player for a 2018 Toyota Camry?

how much would it be to buy a cd player for my 2018 camry toyota? it came without one? or where can i get one

Check with a local auto sound shop and see what they have to offer and they will give you options and prices . Even Best Buy might be able to do this.
Amazon even has portable ones that plug into your exiting radio .

Are you sure you want to lug around a pile of CDs? That seems awfully inconvenient these days.

4 Likes

Actually, CDs are very convenient, easy to use, reliable, and provide excellent sound quality. I will probably never buy a car newer than 2006-2007 (don’t like the obtrusive features added in models newer than that) and would not tolerate for one moment a “car stereo” with a big touchscreen and nowhere to put a physical disc.

2 Likes

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. I don’t find a stack of 500 CDs convenient compared to a flash drive smaller than my fingertip. I also don’t think selecting a CD out of a stack of 500 CDs is something that I want to do while driving. As for reliability, the interior heat of a car in summer can easily warp a CD. Finally, there’s no sound quality difference between a CD and a lossless rip.

2 Likes

There are some inexpensive bluetooth cd players out there, Not sure it would work but it could be an avenue worth pursuing. You might give crutchfields a call, they may be a one stop shop for you.

Good Grief , a 2007 is already 12 years old . Are you single ? If not why deprive your family of improved safety features ( Backup Camera for one ) . Have you never drove a vehicle with the easy to use steering wheel controls ?

I think it’s a generational thing, or more appropriately, a tech savvy or tech interest thing. I gave all of my CD’s away. But I’m not tech interested enough to learn how to “rip a flash drive” or whatever. I just listen to the radio now lol.

Having driven a vehicle with steering wheel controls, I consider “easy to use steering wheel controls” an oxymoron. I understand where the OP is coming from. As much as I’d love to have a backup camera I don’t relish the thought of using a menu to turn on the heater.

3 Likes

No, I am not single. I have a wife and a son. I am not an old curmudgeon, either. I just turned 39 a few months ago.

I am really struggling to see the benefit of the new “high tech” features built in to vehicles today, including the so-called “safety” features. All that I can see is quality, reliability, and serviceability going downhill, privacy and security going out the window, and a lot of “change for the sake of change” in replacing tried-and-true controls and interfaces with digital touchscreens. And of course, the silly buttons galore on a modern steering wheel.

When I was growing up, my parents and our friends’ parents drove us around in cars that were built in the late 1970s to early 1990s. Driver’s ed at school was a fleet of well-worn 1993 Chevrolet Corsicas, and once I got my license, I had a 1988 Toyota Corolla. It was well-worn too, and had a lot of rust.

By today’s standards, these would all be considered “death traps” and couldn’t be sold new, even in the developing world. Yet we survived by following one simple rule: always wear your seat belts, and pay attention to your surroundings.

A better way to explain this is say for the sake of argument, a particular model when new X number of years ago had an excellent safety rating. Assuming that it is in proper running condition, and has no rust or body damage, it should be just as safe today. The fact that safety standards have become much stricter, and this model could not legally be sold new today surely does not mean that the actual probability of death or serious injury while driving this model now is any worse than it was X number of years ago.

In any case, I have said before but will say again: The most important piece of “safety equipment” in any car isn’t installed at the factory. It’s the person driving it. As long as you wear your seat belt, pay attention, and drive with reasonable common sense, I’m not sure that the actual risk of driving a car from the 1990s to mid-2000s is significantly worse than driving a brand new one. Similarly, if you are someone who likes to drive aggressively, use drugs/alcohol, or play with your cellphone while driving, I assume even a new car will be a death trap.

2 Likes

www.crutchfield.com, can’t beat their selection, expertise and customer support.

1 Like

You can have one added to almost any vehicle .

+1 to your post.

I’m about the same age as you, and I think we’ve gone a bit too far with car technology today.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about safety and all those things. But so much of the tech in new cars today I feel encourages mindlessness or at least soothes people into complacency about changing lanes, braking, and that sort of thing.

I also don’t want my car connected to the internet, period.

For those reasons, I’ll continue buying used cars from the past 10 years or so. Just personal opinion.

2 Likes

Flash drives are great…but the sound is also compressed. I don’t care what format you use the audio is compressed. Some will say I’ll take CD’s over a flash drive any day. I have done several side-by-side comparisons of a flash drive and CD playing the exact same music and every time the CD was the distinct winner…BY A LARGE MARGIN. The better the audio system you have the more you can tell the difference.

2 Likes

That depends completely on the rip settings. A lossless rip is completely identical to the CD, so there is no quality difference.

Says who? No matter what format you use there is loss due to compression or bit rate. Weather or not it can be detected is another argument. If all you’re listening to is rap, then it doesn’t matter what format you use. But the more musical that has a wider dynamic range played on a good quality audio system - I’ll take CD over ANY ripped format (MP3, LossLess…etc). There is a difference.

2 Likes

I’m afraid this simply isn’t true. For a lossless rip (such as to FLAC format), the bits fed to the DAC are identical. That’s what lossless means.

I’m guessing that Carolyn might like us to wrap up this part of the discussion.

1 Like

Sure and I’m thinking of giving myself one for Christmas but my point was that I don’t necessarily want some of the other bells and whistles that typically come with a newer car.

2 Likes

What you’re not addressing is the Bit-Rate. The bit-rate is only 128kbps is still a far cry from a CD bit rate of 1411kbps.

They are NOT the same.

3 Likes

FLAC generally starts at 400 kb/sec. 128 kb/s hasn’t been very common for even MP3’s in some time. If you purchase an MP3 from Amazon or whomever, it’s going to be 320 kb/s , which is as high as MP3 goes. FLAC is lossless, meaning that when it’s decompressed the output is exactly the same (bit for bit) as an uncompressed file.