Comparing Maintenance Issues on 2 vehicles

Before I spent $17k on a different car, If you like your current car.
I would check with some of these places that modify cars for disabled/handicap people and see if the can modify the seat in your current car.

The engine breakdown is for the Kona with the CVT transmission has a 2L I4 while the ford with not the cvt transmission has the 2L I4 Ti-VCT GDI

Ride and comfort is huge, itā€™s the issue I have now as I really didnā€™t do a fair road test with the outlander. I plan on taking both for a quality drive, and hope that comfort is what I need. I am not to concerned with performance of the engine as in how fast I go as I donā€™t drive a ton and not a real leadfoot. I am a point A to point B guy. If it gets me there and my legs are not gone numb then that is a huge plus.

I have already explored that and of the 3 places I went, two advocated against it as it would mess with how the airbags operate and such. The third said it would but that if I was in an accident the insurance company could say if hurt it was due to the seat being moved back. All three agreeded a better option would be going to pedel operations being moved to stearing wheel but I am not for that at this time.

Hereā€™s a gross estimate from Consumers Reports. It is only for brand and not model. Ford is less expensive than Hyundai or Kia. The repair averages for the first years and the following 5 years are:

Ford: $1100/$4300

Hyundai: $1140/$4500

Kia: $1450/$4400

There isnā€™t even a $500 average difference between the brands. Hereā€™s the article.

Edit: maintenance will cost far more than repairs. Look at those costs nstead of just repairs.

My friend who has cerebral palsy and unable to walk owns a 2016 Nissan versa that he purchased this year after totally his 2016 Toyota Corolla SE.

I was the one who pressured him to buy the Corolla, and do I regret it! He complained every time he got into the Corolla. His life was a mess. His complaints were mostly difficulty getting in and out of the car, and his scooter had trouble fitting in the trunk.

His son did the Nissan shopping for him, and he loves that car so much. No modification was done to his car to accommodate his scooter.

His wife would remove the batteries and another accessory before lifting it into the back of his Versa.

And yes, I never had good experiences with the Nissan brand when it comes to maintenance and repair. Someone recommended the Honda fit. Iā€™d go with that.

The 2L L4 direct-injection non-turbo engine appears to be the engine configuration for AWD version of the vehicle. It appears to use a timing chain, so if you prefer AWD, the Ford seems a good choice. Expect some addā€™l repair and maintenance for the AWD though. Between the two vehicles , hard to say, probably a wash. You seem to want to be concerned about the Hyundaiā€™s cvt. If you prefer a non-cvt and accept the AWDā€™s extra complexity, the Ford seems a pretty good choice.

I must be in a better market. I found several Mazdas within 30 miles of me, $15,000 - $20,000, under 50,000 miles, 2019 or newer.

Although I have no direct experience with either vehicle, I own several Hyundais and my son has has a free engine replacement (including loaner car) on his Sonata.

My priority when purchasing a new vehicle was NO timing belt, only a timing chain, and NO CVT. SInce I keep cars well after 100K milesI have no desire to incure the significant expense to replace ethier.

To address your particular question and you need to confirm it. the 2019 Hyundai was before the ā€œenging chipā€ recall, may still have been using their reliable 6 speed transmission and may still be eligible for a tranferrable 100K mile warranty, You need to research this.

1 Like

If riding comfort is important then I would also spend some time just sitting in the various cars. Explain this to the salesperson and tell them you just was to ā€œauditionā€ the seat and driving position. Tell them that when you are driving the vehicle, you have too many other things to consider and watch out forā€¦

Most vehicle have adjustable steering wheels, up and down (higher or lower) and in an out (closer to you or closer to the dash). Adjust the seat as you would be as if you are driving, and just sit there. Depending on your ā€œgirth,ā€ some bucket seats are more commutable for folks with narrow hips and those seats feel like a the seat on a childā€™s swing set is you are a sizableā€¦