Cold start

I have a one owner Toyota truck with 122000 miles that I just bought, and is in top condition for it’s age. The guy that bought it changed oil every 2000 miles,and every little part is clean, and original. The oil looks clear, and the water is bright green, anyway it runs and operates smoothly: however When crank it up for the first time it takes like 5 tries. Other than that the truck is perfect!

On the next cold start, turn the ignition switch to the run position so that the dash lights come on for two seconds, and then turn the ignition switch off. Repeat this a half dozen times and then try starting the engine. If the engine starts right up, it points to a problem with the anti-drain back valve in the fuel pump assembly.

Tester

And exactly what is “its age”?

Tester’s post is excellent, and I agree with it, but my old '89 Toyota pickup was carbed, and the lever that enabled activation of the accelerator pump tended to get stuck every few years after it got old and needed spraying with a good solvent and lube. The lever would stick in such a way that the lever would remain in the activated position and prevent use of the pump. The symptoms were the same as having lost the gas in the line.

I had a friend with a carbed Toyota who suffered the same malady for two years until I fixed it for him.

It’s an 84’. I tried the on/off trick,but it didn’t work.