Hard to start '95 Chevy Tahoe

Hello Car Talk,

I have a '95 Tahoe and lately it has been harder to start than usual. This happens both in th winter and summer. The engine turns over just fine, but will not crank up right away. I get by this by cranking it for about 5 seconds, turn it off and pump the gas pedal a couple times, the crank it again for about ive seconds. Usually it will catch the second time, but if not I turn off the key, wait a few seconds and then crank it again, it starts then.

Also, once it has been driven for a while and then turned it off, if I go to start it right away or within a few minutes (10 to 15 minutes), it fires up no problem, but if I drive it a while, then stop and turn it off for a while (say if I go to resturant for 30 minutes to an hour) then it is a bit harder to start and once it does start it wants to bog down when I step on the gas, especially when I put it in drive…if I lightly rev the motor for a minute or so, this gets rid of that problem, then it runs fine.

Out on the open road it runs great.

Just wondering what might be the problem when starting it???

The next time you go to start it, turn the ignition switch to the run position so the dash lights come on for two seconds, and then turn the ignition switch off. Repeat this a half dozen times and then try starting the engine. If the engine starts right up and runs smoothly, it probably means the anti drain-back valve on the fuel pump assembly is faulty.

Tester

What Tester said.

Tester, I tried this and it didn’t fire up right away, although it did start up after a few seconds, a bit faster that usual, but not right away…

is replacing the anti drain-back valve a complicated process?
do I need to remove the fuel pump assembly to get at it?

thanks for the help,
IdahoJoe