Clunking / Rattling noise from 2002 Mercury Sable LS

I have a rattling / clunking noise that sounds like it is coming from under the front end of a 2002 Mercury Sable LS.

The noise occurs when traveling on bumpy roads. I can feel through the floor boards something under there clunking around. Over time the noise has gotten worse. It hasn?t gotten louder but it has become more frequent. It now makes the clunking and rattling on smaller bumps.

When getting oil changes or tire rotations I have mentioned to the mechanic that I hear something under there so while doing the oil change can they take a look to see if they can see something. None of them have ever told me they see something wrong.

This noise is becoming very annoying so I would love to figure out what it is and get it taken care of.

You need to take this to a good front end/alignment shop asap for a full inspection of the front end. I just have to guess that the “mechanic” doing oil changes & tire rotations is at some kind of quick lube/national chain operation? If so, the people who work there aren’t really mechanics and aren’t qualified to inspect your suspension.

This could be something rather minor, but it could also be something very dangerous like a bad ball joint.