Clock reset to 0:00 in 2002 Acura RL

2002 Acura - The clock unexplicitly changed to 00:00. I took it to Acura, and they said it has occured on all Acuras built between 2002-2004 with no repair possible. Is there no solution? What is your take?

I would think dead battery blues.

Is this a one-shot issue? If you set the time, is it good, or does it reset every day/week/month ?

“occured on all Acuras built between 2002-2004” this hints at a software bug that they don’t want to fix. When exactly did it reset? during the daylight savings time switch?

Not sure if the info I found is correct but it looks as if the clocks were tied to a satellite that is no longer communicating with the clocks.

Ah, that may explain it. Changing 20 some clocks Saturday, I was happy that the Acura changed itself. Never thought that during a EMP attack, I may have to rely on my watch.

It won’t reset the time.

In a message dated 3/12/2018 8:51:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, cartalk@discoursemail.com writes:

BillRussell
March 13Is this a one-shot issue? If you set the time, is it good, or does it reset every day/week/month ?
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Yeah, that’s what I heard.

In a message dated 3/12/2018 8:59:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, cartalk@discoursemail.com writes:

VOLVO_V70
March 13Not sure if the info I found is correct but it looks as if the clocks were tied to a satellite that is no longer communicating with the clocks.

I know. Darn.

In a message dated 3/12/2018 9:18:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, cartalk@discoursemail.com writes:

Bing
March 13Ah, that may explain it. Changing 20 some clocks Saturday, I was happy that the Acura changed itself. Never thought that during a EMP attack, I may have to rely on my watch.

not sure what this means. Do you mean you can’t set the time manually? or that there is no manual way to set the time? or that you do set it manually and it does not reset?

On cars whose clocks are “set” to GPS satellite time, the car owner cannot override the time display on the clock except–perhaps–for changing from Standard Time to Daylight Saving Time, and vice-versa. On my Subaru, I merely “toggled” to DST on Sunday, and the display automatically displayed the correct time.

Hopefully this system of satellite coordination will continue to work properly for the two years or so before I trade the car in.
:roll_eyes:

Glad I have a lower end Subaru and don’t have that problem. Instead, the clock set procedure is so non-intuitive that I skip it and leave it on DST all year around. Otherwise I have to read the manual each time, and try to figure out what it is saying.

Through the years, I have found clocks in cars to be worthless. Years ago, clocks in cars were options. They were spring driven and about every two minutes there would be a clunk as the spring was rewound. These clocks were never accurate and continually pulled power from the battery. Back then, if I bought a used car that had a clock, I immediately pulled the fuse that controlled the clock.
My recommendation to the OP is to forget the clock in the car and go to the discount store and buy a little stick-on clock. These clocks cost less than $5 and come in different colors so you can find one that doesn’t clash with the interior.
Better yet, let’s get off this Daylight Savings Time nonsense. I have an old pendulum clock made before 1900 that I inherited from my grandmother. Every year when I advance it to Daylight Savings Time, the striker drops behind an hour. When the hands indicate 6:00, it will strike 5:00. It takes two or three adjustments each year when we go on Daylight Savings Time. I have had a couple clock repairman look at the clock and they can’t explain why it happens. My theory is that my grandmother did not like FDR who put the nation on Daylight Savings Time during WW II, so she is communicating her dislike of DST through the clock. However, I would rather have my mantel clock controlled by my long departed grandmother than my vehicle’s clock controlled by some distant satellite.

3 Likes

Maybe your grandmother got her attitude from her own mother. DST had also been put in place during WWI, Woodrow Wilson’s presidency.

I was thinking the same as you: stick-on clock. Are they still around? Were everywhere a couple or few decades ago.

@shanonia. If the little stick on clocks are not available, the OP might want to attach an hour glass to the dashboard.
If the OP’s car has a sunroof, a sundial mounted on the dashboard would also solve the problem.As for me, I don’t care whether or not a car has a clock. I am old fashioned enough to wear a wrist watch. I glance at that rather than look at the dashboard clock.
As for my grandmother who was born in 1868, she probably didn’t like Woodrow Wilson either.

That is a software shortcoming. I have several clocks that all automatically switch DST on/off at the proper day and time. When I first got my Subaru I noticed that it asked you to setup the date and year, which I assumed was so it could switch DST on/off automatically. No such luck.

Not all areas observe DST, if the clock in your car changed each time you pasted from one county to the next you would place tape over the clock and call it “broken”.

So…get a Honda…

;-]

The auto switch bit can be disabled.

the clock set procedure is so non-intuitive that I skip it and leave it on DST all year around

To quote many posts here, I should have noticed that during the test drive (joking).

I agree, let’s quit changing times twice a year, but I’d stay on DST and be done with it. I like it better. After changing the 20 clocks, I commented to the wife that we need to start buying the satellite clocks that change themselves, and that I was tired of changing all the clocks twice a year. I threatened to just leave them all on one or the other. After all its only for half the year that you’d have to think about it. Now I wonder what would happen when to those more expensive clocks. I thought they were regulated out of a signal from Colorado or Utah or some place.