"Auto" clock adjustment misses DST every year (2019 Subaru Legacy)

I drive a 2019 Subaru Legacy 2.5i (base trim). It has always had this problem as long as I’ve had it.

Whenever daylight savings rolls around, the clock fails to adjust to it. I have the clock set to “Auto” adjustment based on the connected Bluetooth device. Some Subarus in similar makes/years have a “Daylight Savings” option in their settings, but I think that’s only for GPS-enabled vehicles, which mine is not.

The most confusing part however, is this: I can go in the settings and change the clock to “manual” set mode, and then set it to the proper time. If I then change it back to “Auto” set mode, it reverts back to the previous incorrect time (even though my phone has the correct time).

Changing the time zones, etc on my phone all have the expected effects on the clock as well, but everything is off by an hour. I’m puzzled. Does anyone know why this could possibly happen so persistently? Is this something that only the dealership is likely to be able to fix?

It is hard coded into the car. It is likely an error Subaru made The dealership will not be able to fix it.

Why not set the clock on manual and then reset it manually for daylight time or standard time. You would only have to do this twice a year.
Another alternative is to set the clock a half hour ahead of standard time. Mentally add thirty minutes for daylight time months and subtract 30 minutes for standard time months.

1 Like

Is your STARLINK software up to date (assuming that you can update it yourself)?

Have you tried pairing a different phone to see if the issue still happens?

If this has happened all along, did you report this to the dealer while it was under warranty so that they’re on the hook for fixing it sooner or later?

Do you know how the car’s electronics decides to make the DST time adjustment? If it is based on the day/month/year, maybe the politician’s law for the switch date has changed but the car doesn’t know it. If it is based on the car’s cell-phone network connectivity, the car asking for the information by calling a telephone number, maybe your car’s license to use the cell phone network has expired. The other common way the car would know when to make the switch is by listening to a radio signal that broadcasts the current time, the so called “atomic clock” method. For that to work the car has to be able to receive that signal, and it might not be able to b/c the car is parked in a parking garage, etc.

I expect you’ll be better off asking at a dealership, and if they don’t know, just live with it, set the time manually. Perhaps at some point in the future this will no longer be necessary b/c of a change in law ending time changes. Don’t hold your breath for that to pan out though.