Clicking from the front end

I just bought a 1995 VW Jetta. I didn’t notice the noise until I acually parted with the money, at which time I became highly sensitive to any noise, bumps, vibrations and smells. Here’s the thing; When I first take off from a parking spot or any where I start with the front wheels turned I get a clicking noise from the front wheel area. Is this something I should be concerned about or can I just ignore it for a few thousand miles?

Thank for you time, interest, and consideration: Michael

The clicking indicates worn CV (constant velocity) joints. You can veryify this by checking the rubber boots that cover the joints. If the boots are cracked and leaking lubricant (grease on the inside of the front wheels?) then the joints need replacement.

This is common on FWD vehicles of a certain age/mileage.

It’s impossible to know how long the CV joints will last. You definitely want to replace them before they fail completely.

Exactly what MC wrote.

Agree with both; at that age, the CV joints are likely worn enough to get noisy and fail quickly.

Thanks! The boots are in good shape but that is most likely lazy maintenance. Wish me luck. I am going to attempt this operation myself. Michael