Click/ Clunk when turning

I have a 1992 Toyota Pickup. 2 Wheel drive.

When I turn the steering wheel either direction regardless of speed it make an audible clunk noise. I can also feel a clunk through the steering wheel. It is like it catches slightly and then releases. It has been gradually getting worse and more noticeable. There used to just be one point in the steering where it would clunk, now there are two.

Any ideas on what to look for, should I stop driving the truck?

If this truck has rack & pinion steering, I would say that the steering rack is “binding up” very badly and is dangerous. If it has another type of steering, such as the recirculating ball type, then I would look toward things like badly worn tie rod ends.

In either event, I don’t believe that this truck is safe to drive at this point.
I would suggest having it towed to a well-reputed independent front-end expert.

Do NOT take it to Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, Pep Boys, AAMCO, or any other chain unless you relish the prospect of being overcharged for poor workmanship and unnecessary work.

Jack each front wheel off the ground and try to move the tire and wheel with your hands, up, down, back and forth…There should be very little “slop” in the wheel. If one or both of the wheels feels loose, better head for a front end shop. Also, open the hood and follow the shaft from the steering wheel down to the steering box bolted to the frame. While you watch, have someone turn the steering wheel lock to lock while you watch the steering box and shaft for movement…Maybe you can see what is"popping". In any case don’t ignore this, get it checked out…

When you say “regardless of the speed”, does the problem occur when you’re at a standstill? Or only while you’re driving?