Clearing a Frosted Windshield

Yep the good ole days when people used to stop for people.

I don’t think the alcohol would wreck the finish except take the wax off but it might promote rust in any bare spots. Its what I would use to clean the wiper blades anyway so don’t think it would hurt them either.

On the rare occasions that my car would be sitting outside and full of snow, I’d usually just use the garage broom to push the majority of the snow off. Just have to be careful not to scratch.

I had a Dodge D-50 pickup truck years back that the inside of the windows would frost over real bad.
I had no inside work area for vehicles and never wasted the time fixing it, I just sold it instead.

I kept spray cans of deicer on the seat.
I don’t know if they even still make the spray deicer.

Yosemite

@meanjoe75fan: I never said I was “dead-set” against using an ice scraper. That’s what I usually use, and always have. I’m just seeing if there is a better way. That is all.

The absolute best way to clear off your car and get the frost off the windshield is to have someone else do it ! :smiley:

Isn’t that what kids are for!

If your windshield washer system freezes up in very cold weather, pure isoprophyl will usually thaw it.

My arm and ice scraper has gotten quite a workout the last two days, chemical-free.

If you’re out east, forget the ice scraper and get the garage broom ready.

Pretty slow around here lately.

Bing, if you’re in southern Mass or below it’s about to get busier! :smiley:

Nope, Minnesota. Just a dusting. And a full tank in the snow blower too.

Guy’s coming tomorrow to dump the DSL and hook up to cable. Supposed to go from about 3 to 60 MPS. Whee. We’ll see though. Might be quiet for a while. You all will just have to do without me.

The D50 ,I had was very bad about fogging up unless you let fresh air into the cab .

Guy's coming tomorrow to dump the DSL and hook up to cable. Supposed to go from about 3 to 60 MPS

You mean Mbps (mega bits per second). 60 for DSL is unheard of. Cable or Fiber yes. You’d be very lucky to get 15mbps with DSL.

Bing wrote:
If you’re out east, forget the ice scraper and get the garage broom ready.

The OXO snow brush works well in heavy snow, for what that’s worth.

We have 2 of 3 cars garaged. The snow was 23" deep at 8 AM and it is coming down at about 1 inch per hour. The snow is supposed to continue for another 8 to 12 hours. Our power is still on, thank goodness, and the kids (adults, actually) are safe inside and all together as it turns out.

@jtsanders
"The snow was 23" deep at 8 AM and it is coming down at about 1 inch per hour."

That’s exactly what the Donners said! :neutral:
CSA

Yeah, but as I mentioned, we aren’t stuck in the pass waiting for the snow to stop. I was just pointing out how fortunate my family is during this monumental (for us) snow storm.

@jtsanders
I just meant to give you something to chuckle about.
I am happy to hear that you’re all safe and sound and the power’s on! It makes things better when everybody’s together and accounted for in one spot. Believe me, it snows a lot where I live, but I don’t take the storm you’re experiencing, lightly. That’s huge. Good luck and stay safe. Hopefully, the sun will pop out tomorrow. That makes things seem a little brighter.
CSA

Sounds like you’re all set to ride it out. 23" is still a lot of snow to move regardless where you are. Hope you have some power equipment though. We haven’t had a big storm in quite a while in Southern Minnesota.

23" is even worse in places like Virginia and DC because they aren’t use to it. They had snow plows going off the road and getting stuck.

I need to clear this windshield, we ended up with just over 28" west of DC.

We ended up with 28" officially. Most ever, I think. The good new is it is sunny and not a cloud in the sky this morning. Dig!