Claire's keys

Dudes, your advice to Claire the key-loser was half spot-on, half inane, vizt: hanging the receiver of the key-finder on her key-ring will do her no good whatsoever if she then proceeds to “try not to loose” the remote or base station. Take it from a similarly disabled. The key (har) is to GLUE DOWN or otherwise affix the remote to the foyer wall or some other immovable and memorable location. Otherwise she’ll have to shell out another $40 for a second keyfinder to attach to the first remote, ad infinitum.

Cheers

Alliedog

The solution is actually very simple. This is a problem that occurs only to people who are extremely disorganized. All that one has to do is to ALWAYS put your car keys in the same place, rather than randomly depositing them in various places.

I have an old dish on my kitchen desk, and I always place my car keys and some pocket change in that dish. Next to the dish, I place my wallet and my cell phone. Instead of a dish, a small basket or some other type of container will accomplish the same goal.

Voila–no searching. When leaving the house, everything that I normally have to take with me is always in the same place. No wondering or searching where the keys, wallet, and cell phone are located today, because they are always in the same place.

Or, a cup hook screwed into a door frame could be utilized. The exact method can vary with the individual, but all someone has to do is to decide on where to leave those keys, and always put them in the same place. If more than one person uses that car, then of course, all parties have to use the same approach.

When you are at work, a similar approach is necessary. If the car keys are always placed in the same desk drawer, or in the same place in an attache case, or in the same place in a purse, there is no need to have to try to figure out where the car keys are located each time that one leaves work. Taking this one step further, of course, it is necessary to put that attache case or purse in the same place every day, rather than randomly leaving that item in various places.

The solution to this “problem” is so incredibly easy that I have a hard time believing that people never seem to think of this very obvious cure for their problem.

In Claire’s defense this is not a problem just for people who are extremely disorganized! It’s busy moms, working people who have a lot going on (I’m one of those myself)and there’s an easy solution - the Finders Key Purse. I know you have rules about product plugs but for Claire (and others), I felt compelled to let you know about it. It hangs over the edge of your purse with a design on the outside and a clasp to clip to keys on the inside. If you keep your keys on this item, they are always handy, easy to put away, and easy to find. Just a suggestion - it really works!

Do you have any idea how rude it is to address your post to “Dudes”? Don’t call me “dude” Junior.

oldschool – Call me Dude anytime! Splain pleeeze why you think it’s rude.

My feelings about “dude” are that it turns me into a object instead of a person and since “dude” is from another generation am I to pretend that I am from that generation simply to fit in? Should I fear saying “don’t call me dude” (there is a song by this title) because others won’t like me? “Dude” implies we have a personal relationship. Many cultures use different forms of speech when our relationship is on a formal or non-formal basis (The German “Sie” or the non-formal “Du”) and we are not on a non-formal basis.

Next time you have contact with a authority figure call them “dude” see how far you get. Address your boss as “dude” let me know how it goes.

I failed to consider that you may be the boss,in that case try calling one of your customers “dude”.

OK oldschool/Junior – we get your angle now.

1. An object? A dude ranch was/is a working ranch welcoming “dudes” – paying guests assumed to be unaccustomed to rural life, or city-folk. So a dude is a person.

2. From another generation? Big deal. It’s much more a contemporary expression than it ever was, say, post WW2.

3. Are you to pretend that you are from that generation simply to fit in?
    YOU pretend? Never. But it wouldn’t kill you to fraternize with all ages. Perhaps we don’t fit in with your circle, but this is a Tom and Ray forum. Trust me. We all fit in just fine.

4. Should I fear saying “don’t call me dude” (there is a song by this title) because others won’t like me? My dear, fear not! We can plainly see you are infinitely likable.

5. “Dude” implies we have a personal relationship. Personal, maybe not, Try casual.

6. No authority figures here. Try egalitarian.

And that’s the whole point! Alliedog addressed the comment line as if we’re all friends with an interest in common.

He addressed Tom and Ray (first name basis, therefore “Du-able”) not you. Don’t start none, won’t be none. You shall henceforth be addressed as “Sir Knight”, and all other posters as “Nipples”. And I promise to stay off your lawn.

Lighten up, Sir Knight.

All of this verbiage notwithstanding, the fact remains that this issue is not like “rocket science”, or cracking the genome of an organism, or anything of a complex nature.

All one has to do is to develop a habit of always putting one’s keys in the same place, rather than randomly distributing them around in one’s personal environment. Is that really difficult?

I’m sorry, but I don’t buy the “busy Moms”/“working people who have a lot going on” argument.

For about four decades, I fit into the “working people who have a lot going on” category, but I still managed to put my car keys/house keys in the exact same place every time that I came home. This is not an issue of how busy one is, but is an issue of how disorganized one’s mind is, and whether one is able to focus on a task that is one of the most simple things that anyone has to do in the normal course of a day.

If someone can’t manage to put his/her keys in the exact same place every time that he/she comes home, how can that same person perform complex, problem-solving tasks in the workplace? This is about as simple as can be. Just designate the ONE place where you will always deposit your keys upon arriving home, and stick to that plan.

To tranform this very simple issue to one of great complexity makes me wonder how some of these “challenged” people make it through a day at work.