Protecting your keys from wear

The rubber cover on one of my keys has worn through. One of the buttins underneath has already fallen out. I’ve been unable to find any type of key cover. A replacement keys costs a bundle.

So, I came up with the idea of picking up some small zip lock bags, typically used by coin and stamp collectors, and putting it over the end of the key, with a hole for the hey’s functional end and the zip lock end toward the keyring. I’m putting one over the spare key too.

Since this is apparently a common problem with the new keys and they’re so expensive to replace, I thought I’d pass the idea on.

Duct tape? No? How about winding electricians’ tape around it?

Too gooey.

I thought the nice part about my solution is the lack of adhesive and the ability to readily change the battery.

I wonder why nobody makes slip on rubber key covers for modern car keys. Perhaps I should contact a patent attorney…

Your keys have buttons? What do the buttons do?

It’s a portable device similar to the buttons on the Mach 5 steering wheel. One engages the sawblades, another makes the car jump, and other engages underwater mode…

One unlocks the door, another locks the door, another activates the intruder alert system, and the forth fires the ejection seat.

By the way, I checked this morning how much it would cost me just for an unprogrammed blank, the parts of which I could use to replace the worn out parts of mine…$109! Uncut and un programmed!

So it is like a key fob control, but the key and controls are built into one unit? I have seen replacement cases for the fob-type controls for sale on line. I have never noticed any for whole keys. What would happen if you dipped the whole thing in some of that stuff used to coat tool handles? Before you ask, I am not willing to experiment with mine.

Yup, the fob is built into the head of the key.

I thought of that too. I’ve used that stuff on tool handles and it really isn’t as flexible as I think it needs to be. I also didn’t want to seal the shell halves together such that I’d be unable to change the battery.

I though of coating it with a room temp vulcanizing silicone silastic too. I may ultimately do that. I haven’t decided yet.

I think that is what I was really thinking of. I just could not remember Sylgard yesterday. I used to have use for it in the lab a long time ago.

How old is the car? Maybe it’s a warranty claim.

85,000 miles. Naw, the rubber is just worn down. Eventually, when both provided keys get worn down to where the buttons fall out, I’ll get new keys. Meanwhile, if I can delay that expendature by protecting the head of the key I will.

Perhaps in the interim someone will come up with an aftermarket slide-on key cover for these types of keys.