Civic SI vs. EX Theft rate

I’m thinking of a used EX coupe as my replacement but there seeems to be more preowned SI’s in the New York area. Is there really I higher theft rate for SI’s than EX’s?

Call your insurance company.

What ? Where I Live There Is No Car Theft.

What does this mean ?
"I’m thinking of a used EX coupe as my replacement but there seeems to be more preowned SI’s in the New York area. Is there really I higher theft rate for SI’s than EX’s?

What ? Try as I might I can’t comprehend it. What am I missing ? Please break it down.

CSA

Your insurance agent should be able to answer your question, but I don’t see what the theft rate has to do with the number of pre-owned cars on the market.

The Si has the more powerful engine, and that may make it more attractive to thieves. Those engines are probably in high demand for transplanting into hot-rodded Civics or Integras.

It wouldn’t surprise me to find that an Si would be more expensive to insure than an EX, but again, you should consult your agent. Your age and where you live may be more of a factor than the Civic model you buy.

Civic’s and Accords are among the highest stolen cars on the markets. But they usually don’t make a distinction between option levels.

Most insurance companies grade a vehicle as “high theft” vs. not for rate purposes. Two flaws in the system are that they don’t usually make a distinction between option packages, and they usually use the raw number of thefts vs the % of each model reported stolen, thus more popular models tend to domimate the list.

Actually the Honda Civic SI back in 1999-2000 vintage had the dubious honor of most stolen car.

The same was true of Acura Integra GS-R at a certain time.

I know because I was interested in both models but insurer tried to steer more toward more plebeian version of cars instead of high performance versions.

Parts Is Parts and the parts demand for those models is very high…

Where I Live There Is No Car Theft.

…and all the children are above average.

There Aren’t Many Roads To Or From The Area. It’s Too Easy For Car Thieves To Get Caught And The Would Be Criminals Know It. Besides That Everybody Is Armed. They Go Somewhere Else, Maybe To Your Neighborhood.

CSA

Congratulations. You have successfully made yourself feel superior at my expense. I am sure your parents are proud.

Whichever you get, just take the badges off(Si or EX) and let them guess what it is. Be weary of the Si glut, they might be theft recovery vehicles, or some shady place is selling them after they’ve been stolen.

With Honda’s it is all about the model year and you don’t mention any model years in your post. Some older Honda’s still show up in the most stolen listings. I don’t really think there is a significant difference in recent ('03 to current) EX’s vs SI’s.

If your insurance company rates them differently you’ll see that difference in the rates they charge for coverage.

I am guessing most of these SI’s are salvage cars, put back together and sent off to the lot. I do not believe it has to do with theft. The sportier cars are driven as such and they have a higher ratio of accidents and then they get sold to the next guy. I noticed this with the Scion TC where I live. Many used ones for sale, nice price, but all are salvage.

These are 2007-9 Honda Dealership certified cars. Geico quoted with $500 deductible full glass comprehensive, collision and Rental reimbursement. SI $936, LX $901, EX $877 for Washington Heights uptown Manhattan. I also checked 2008 Camry quoted $673 and 2008 Miata was $785. Clearly Geico prefers Toyota and Mazda to Honda? The liability was much lower for a Camry. LX was higher than the EX!!! GEEZ!!!

“there seeems to be more preowned SI’s in the New York area. Is there really I higher theft rate for SI’s than EX’s?”

Do you walk to school, or do you carry your lunch?