Chrysler 300C Stalling

I posted this before, but now have some new info: My father-in-law’s 2005 Chrysler 300C stalls whenever the fuel tank is full or almost empty. It has 54K miles and the dealer can’t figure it out.

I just got it back from the dealer. The only code is P0573 which appears to have something to do with the cruise control - and it does not work either.

The check engine light is on. I found out today that when he fills the tank, he might be topping off too much. The dealer wants to pull the tank for $1200, with no guarantee that it will be right when they are done.

I checked internet chatter and this seems to be a common problem with this model.

Any ideas??

Any idea what they want to do when they pull the tank? For $1200 they could pull the tank, hire a hall, and give it a decent party with a live band…

How about taking it to a different dealer or an independent shop? This should be out of warranty. He should have no obligation to use this dealer, especially since they have no clue.

As far as I know this is not a common problem with this model. I peruse a 300 forum, having purchased one a while ago, and haven’t heard of it.

You might search the forum or become a member and post the question there. Maybe someone there can offer some insight: http://www.300cforums.com/

I think the dealer thinks it is a fuel pump. I think there is gas in the evap system, but don’t know for sure that it would cause this problem. The check engine light on would also confirm this is a problem, because it would be for a loose gas cap, for instance.
I have an independent mechanic shop and I think that is indeed the best bet.
I went on various sites and many others have this problem with the 300C. They have tried different things and a few solved the problem of stalling, but always with a few different symptoms.
The hardest part was getting the car away from the dealer. But I have it now and will try to get my local shop to dig into it. I would be willing to throw a few bucks at the problem because it is such a good car and he loves it.

It sounds like to start with you have two problems. 1 fuel gauge doesn’t read properly so it runs out of gas when low. 2 gas in the evap system will cause no starts. If the canister gets fuel in it when being filled, then gets pulled into the vacuum line for the evap, it could very well be flooding the engine. A full tank of gas is not going to cause fuel pump failure.

To all of you out there who helped with this problem: Thanks! We resolved the issue with a cheap fix ($30: do-it-yourself).
The computer code was indeed unrelated. The problem is fuel in the evap system. The overall problem is a bad valve in the fuel tank and whether you use your local shop or a Chrysler dealer, you have to replace the tank and the cost is around $1200. Our fix makes the whole problem go away when the tank is filled and we are currently testing the empty-tank scenario (so far, with good results).
I am taking photos of the fix and can pass them along if you want. Also, there is a small parts list.

I have to admit that I am curious as to what your $30 fix entailed… Glad you were able to solve it.

We took the vacuum line that goes from the intake manifold to the solenoid (all under the hood) and insert in line a fuel filter that traps the fuel and then bleeds it slowly. My mechanic came up with the actual fix, so I paid a little more with the labor.
There is a way to check that this will work. When the engine stalls, pull that vacuum line off the intake and you will see it dripping with fuel, which is what causes the stall. So far, we have had no problems and I have filled the tank 5 times, with two of those over-topping.
The low-tank issue has not been tested. When we get the tank under 1/4, I will try to see if it stalls. If it does not, I will check the filter and see if it has fuel in it. With a short piece of hard tubing, I will be able to temporarily bypass the new filter and see if it stalls then (and check the vacuum line for fuel).
It is important that all of the hoses and fittings are fuel-rated so this does not someday leak and drip fuel into the engine compartment.

Hey, I just wanted to ask how’s the car been since the fix any issues still with the stalling? was it reliable after?

Reliable and still in service. Chrysler had to admit that they had a fault in the rear fuel pump, though. The fix worked, but to be honest, the fuel pump was eventually replaced.

David McMillin

Recently came into possession of a 2005 300C with the same issue. I read somewhere that Chrysler put out a TSB on this issue, but unfortunately did not apply to my car. I’m interested in what parts and how you addressed this issue on your car. Any pictures to help identify the correct vacuum line in which to insert the fuel filter?

Chrysler has a TSB – true. But, in the end you have to pull the fuel tank and change out the electric fuel pump in it. $1200 or so.

The fix I have works most of the time and is a lot cheaper, maybe $120 to have done and a lot less if you do it yourself.

Basically the engine vapor-locks and putting an oversized filter in the fuel line collects the vapor and slowly mixes it back in instead of slugging it all in at once, which causes the vapor lock and the stall.

Your choice is to try this or drop the gas tank.

I am including a pdf here. If you cannot get it or open it, send me a direct email and I will respond.

David

(Attachment Chrysler 300C Stalling Problem Fix.pdf is missing)

Could not send a pdf, so I am send 4 jpegs

David

Hi David -

Thanks for the quick reply. I certainly would like to avoid dropping the fuel tank. I can’t access the attachment ((Attachment Chrysler 300C Stalling Problem Fix.pdf is missing)). NOt sure how we can trade emails without going full public :wink:

Never mind - just saw your JPEGs…Thank you so much for sharing. I will look at this approach when the weather warms up a bit!

The fuel pump is accessible from under the back seat but that is not the problem.

The problem is that the fuel tank over-fill control valve sticks allowing the operator to over fill the tank, this can cause liquid gasoline to enter the vapor canister and purge line.

The fuel tank over-fill control valve is part of the fuel tank on this model, not replaceable separately.

Chrysler issued a lifetime warranty for this problem in April 2014;

Just curious, my sons car seems to have the same problem so I plan to try this fix. Was there any reason why you put the filter so far from the Solenoid? Or was that just a nice open spot? thank

Just a nice spot to put the over-sized filter.

The idea is to collect the “air” that gets into the system from the tank/tank pump, and then titrate it into the engine slowly to prevent vapor lock.

You should know that half the folks who tried this, and then reported back to me, still had to install a new pump, which meant dropping the fuel tank @ $1200 unless you do THAT yourself. Still, I came up with a cheap fix that may or may
not work.

Good Luck!