Chirping sound when I accelerate (2002 Chevy Prizm)

A couple of weeks ago, I took my 2002 Chevy Prizm to a Firestone shop to have the tires rotated, battery and serpentine belt replaced, oil changed, and brakes adjusted. Yesterday, I noticed a chirping sound when I accelerate. Yesterday was also the first time since the maintenance work that I was driving without any music playing. So, it’s possible that the chirping sound was happening before. Any thoughts? Could this be a serious problem?

It’s either the belt they installed or the tensioner for the belt. Take it back to them and let them fix it.

Thank you for the quick reply!

When I replaced the serpentine belt on my 2000 Blazer with a Dayco brand belt, it was noisier than the original belt. I replaced it with a Goodyear Poly-V belt that was quiet.

I’ve been using Goodyear Poly-V belts for years and sometimes Gates belts from Napa with no problems. I bought the Dayco from an auto parts store because that’s all the store had. In the Blazer’s case the quality of the belt makes all the difference.

Rather than using a chain for repairs, look around for an independent mechanic. Word of mouth is a good recommendation, so ask friends, family, and neighbors.

And don’t forget to check your oil between changes.

Ed B.

No good can come from a post that begins with " I took my car to Firestone .

I’ll have to say that Firestone is better to get work done from than Walmart or Jiffy Lube, by a good chunk. As always, your experiences may be different.

For me, it made a slight difference that the mechanic who worked on my car, plus the guy at the counter, and I all have the same first name, and it is a rarity for us to run into others with the same name.

BC.