Chirping sound from coming car, what could it be? Brakes? Timing Chain? Driving Belt?

I have a 2004 Honda Accord Coupe EX V4, there is this chirping sound coming from under the hood it sounds like its coming from the section in front of the driver s seat. I hear it when I apply the breaks or even if I am just driving normally but once I put the car in park I don t hear anything. It sounds like birds chirping and sometimes it sounds for a little bit other times it is consistent. So it basically sounds if I am driving, braking, at a red light but it doesn’t really sound when I put it in park. I assumed it was the driving belt but that’s located towards the front of the hood on the passenger side maybe I am hearing it wrong but to me it sounds like its coming from the driver s front section area of the front hood. Any Ideas? I literally just bought this used car with 80k mileage.

Have the brakes checked. Your brakes contain little metal tabs that touch the rotor when it turns to let you know that the pads are getting low. These make a chirping sound like you describe.

You should get the serpentine belt checked too. In fact, since you just bought the car, I’d suggest that you have a trusted shop give it a good going-over and write of a list of work needed and its criticality. You might also want the shop to do all the required maintenance that it might need. This is an investment, not an expense.

If this is your first car, you should also get in the habit of routinely checking all the fluids. The oil should be checked every few days until you get some level of confidence in it, then weekly. I do mine that often, and I have 238,000 miles worth of experience with my car. Other fluids can be checked less often. All are easy to check.

It does seem to sound like a brake problem. You could do a little more experimenting I suppose, see if the frequency of the chirp corresponds more to the wheel speed, or the engine speed. Like say you hear it going 30 mph in D. Now shift to N and briefly coast, then the wheel speed stays the same but the engine speed goes down to idle rpm. If the chirp stays the same, you know it is related to the wheel speed, not the engine speed, tending to confirm something in the brakes as the suspect.