Chevy automatic lights

My 03 Impala has started turning on it’s automatic headlights during full day light. This occurs randomly and so far, not very often so far. However, we bought this car new and the problem has started only a couple of months ago. Something that will surely get worse with time.

This problem causes the dash instruments and radio to go to their night time setting which is too dim to be read in bright light. The photo sensor in the top of the dash is clear, we never put anything over it.

Has anyone had this problem & how did you fix it?

Check All Your Headlights (Four Bulbs). I Had This Happen When One High Beam Was Out On A Bonneville (Same DTRLs).

Try replacing any that are burned out, first. Owner’s manual will help. Post back and report what happens, please.

P.S. I wonder if one of the bulbs is intermittent (loose / broken filament), in the process of burning out. When the radio, odometer, etcetera, lights go dim in broad daylight, hop out and check all headlights. You may have to manually turn them on and use the high beam / dimmer stalk, too.

Just in case that little round bulb in the front and center of the dash top where the windshield meets the body is the sensor, any sunglasses, paper etc. covering it up to make it think it is night time? Just to make sure, it may be a bad sensor.

R. Sanders States In The Original Question, " The photo sensor in the top of the dash is clear, we never put anything over it. "