2005 Chevrolet Impala - Lights go dark

I inherited my mothers 2005 Chevy Impala. It rides well and really have little to complain about,except for one thing that could lead to a dangerous situation. 3 times I am driving down the road at night, and the headlights suddenly just go out and you find yourself driving in the dark. This means you can not see ahead of you and other cars can’t see you coming at them. Very scary. I have tried pulling light switch in and out but nothing works. You have to pull over and wait for awhile and try again before they will come back on. I have had a garage check the wiring and they can’t seem to find the problem. Each time it happens it is months apart. I am scared to drive at night or on interstates knowing I suddenly could not have lights. Please advise. I would appreciate some help. Marlene O’Malley

Are you using the automatic light setting to turn the lights on? You say you pulled the switch but is that the way you bypass the automatic setting and turn the lights on? Try it engine off in the daylight. Do what you think turns the lights on. Walk around the car. Are the hesdlights on? Are the tail lights on? Post back with what you find.

I would guess the automatic light sensor is failing. You should still be able to turn the lights on manually. Please test this and post back.