"Check Engine" light mechanical failure

I have a 2001 Honda Civic with 93,000 miles. Twice in the last 2 months my “check engine” light came on followed by mechanical engine failure. Later,after the car cooled, I was able to start it again. The 2 incidents happened 7 weeks apart. A Honda dealer tested it and says it “might” be mis-synchronization of the cam shaft, requiring major engine work. Another mechanic says it might be the catalytic converter since it is intermittent but no way to test that. Both times it happened after the car had been driven about 65 miles, though I had driven it further one time in between these incidents. I am driving it in town now but am afraid to drive it on the highway.

Click on the appropriate problem, here: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

The print out from the dealer says “found codes P0336 CKP sensor and P1361 TDC sensor clear codes and test drive did not recode on test drive, supect excessive play in cam shaft and may require …”