Charged for Unrequested Service at Mechanic

I remember when Chrysler first came out with their alternator instead of a generator and was quite a selling point. I just can’t remember what year. Maybe 61 (1960 I guess) or something along with their torsion bar suspension. Some time around then if I recall they also had a 50,000 mile warranty, a first. I didn’t get that until my 86 Buick. They used to be leaders in technology.

@bing Chrysler introduced the alternator in 1960. The 50,000 mile warranty was implemented for the 1963 models.

1 Like

Now it is…
WARRANTY COVERAGE
5–year or 60,000–mile Powertrain Limited Warranty.
3–year or 36,000–mile Basic Limited Warranty.
Ask Dealer for a copy of the limited warranties or
see your owner’s manual for details.

Good point. My Corolla’s electric-motor driven WW pump has caused me some problems, much out of proportion to other repairs needed for the car. I had to invent a special tool to get it turning again when it gets stuck. I’d have no problems having to press on a manually operated pump for that function. Of course I don’t mind at all having to manually turn the window cranks to get the window up and down, or to have to press on the clutch pedal and – aghast!! – to actually move the gearshift lever with my own hand to shift gears. Oh the humanity! … lol …

@George_San_Jose1 The windshield washer was part of the wiper motor on my 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass. The windshield washer part quit functioning. I didn’t want to replace the entire unit, so I bought a universal windshield washer pump at Walmart that was separate from the wiper motor. When I connected everything up, and turned on the key, the pump ram continuously. I studied the wiring diagram in the repair manual and realized that the dashboard switch completed the circuit to.ground. I did a little wiring change and the pump I bought at Walmart worked perfectly. I puzzled over why the switch controlled the path to ground instead of the positive side. It finally hit me that this design saved.about four feet of wire–insignificant for one car, but very cost savings over the many cars produced. Back in those days when I had to do much of.my own maintenance and repair, the factory repair manual paid for itself many times over.

2 Likes

For my 68 dodge, I sent the card in that was in the owners manual and $10 for the service manual. It was the best written and understandable manual I have had and with good pictures. Helped a lot.

1 Like

In 1968 a book cost $10. Today to have a servant add a gallon of windshield washer fluid cost $14. What are we comparing here?

It switched to repairs of washer systems and the help of a manual. Think I paid $35 for olds in 74, free from the dealer in 81, about $200 from Buick in 86, about $ 200 in 95 from olds, and $100 from Acura. So they aren’t cheap but can be useful. Plus a bunch of others for corvair etc.

You don’t have to do any of that stuff until you get your Corolla back on the road. What’s up with your registration? Did you get that resolved?

Yup!
The cars of the early '50s which were equipped power windows utilized a hydraulic pump driven by the engine to raise and lower the windows. While that seemed like a sensible solution for cars with anemic electrical systems, the owners of luxury cars weren’t very happy when a hydraulic line leak inside a door led to large oil stains on the cloth-covered door panels. :grimacing:

@VDCdriver My aunt had a 1948 Buick Super convertible with hydraulically operated power windows. The system spring a leak while she was visiting us. This was in 1958. She would operate the switch to roll the window up and it would slowly lower itself. I drove the Buick to the Buick agency to have it repaired.

Corolla remains off the road. I’m watching the Covid stats carefully, depending on results, as long as fewer Covid deaths than average historical seasonal flu, expect to begin Corolla re-registration process next spring. Over 500K new Covid cases in past 2 weeks in USA, appx 800 deaths same period. . A bad flu year yields about 1K deaths per 2 weeks.

Thanks for your concern, but no worries. Not much of a personal burden; truck remains reliable daily-driver, albeit gasoline price makes gas-guzzler truck problematic for wallet. Spend less $$ elsewhere to make up the difference is all. Big savings possible by cooking at home rather than dining out, and home-prep’d food more healthy anyway. Add to that no insurance or registration fees. Corolla meanwhile remains in good condition, not sitting unused and forgotten, instead being idled in driveway, pull forward a backward a few times, to keep everything lubed.

Won’t you have to pay the registration back fees plus penalties . No liability insurance ? What if it is stolen and someone hits something with it ?

2 Likes

I remember a relative making fun of me when i bought my 68 Dodge Dart when i was 17 because it didnt have an electric washer pump.

1 Like

It’s going to cost him a small fortune to get current tabs/registration on it.

The fee for the year he’s licensing it for
Plus a penalty of 160% of that fee
Plus a penalty of $100 to the DMV
Plus a penalty of $100 to the CHP (California Highway Patrol)

So if 1 years tabs cost him $200

$200 + $320 + $100 + $100 = $720 + what ever the smog test is.

Registration is not required for vehicles being stored, in California the Planned Nonoperation fee is $23. This can be filed up to 90 days after the registration expires, but not 3 years.

What kind of nonsense is that? If I let my registration expire, I can go renew it at any time. If I’m 4 months late, I pay the fee and the registration is good for another 8 months until it’s due again. If I wait a year I pay for the current year.

You can own a car without driving it. Registration is only needed to license it–meaning to drive it on public roads. If I buy a car and park it in my garage for 3 years, I will not register it for that time. If I buy a parts car that sits in my back yard for 5 years while I cannibalize it, I will never register it.

Now if I buy a car and don’t transfer ownership within 30 (or whatever) days, I may incur a fine. But that’s title, not registration.

Guessing you’re not in California

Hopefully he did that.

The issue was not wanting to go to the dmv in person because of the virus. If they would not allow.
On line registration, don’t think they would allow mail in storage fee registration. It was not the money, it was the fear of going to the office in person. So in California, you can vote by mail but have to show up in person to renew your car license. Very interesting.