Sevice light not engine light

my friend has a 04 honda pilot and everytime that sevice light comes on she gives the honda dealer $400,$600,$800 dollars it goes up everytime is it worth paying all that money when that sevice light comes on is it something the average joe can can do? the girl will use her last dollar on this does the dealer have to do it

The service light can come on for a number of reasons. It could even mean the windshield washer is low on fluid. I service my son’s car and know when the oil is dirty or a fluid is low. I suggest buying and reading the Haynes Repair manual for the car. Most of these light can be reset by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes. Dealer service is well beyond affordability for many of us. Learn to do what you can, and what is better left to a shop.

The vehicle is out of warranty, yes? She should take it to an independent shop for its scheduled routine maintenance and for whenever the “light” comes on. She could save 1/2, or more.

Honda has a sevice light and a check engine light. The service light will come on every 3000 or 4000 miles, depending on the model, to tell you it is time for service. This is usually just an oil change, about $40, and you can reset the "service engine light yourself. Read your manuel and see if that helps. I would also question the dealer about the work they have done.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.