Changing Oil and Filter 2001 Mazda Protege

Yep, stuff costs less when there’s competition, that won’t happen for a long time with this new system…

No, I have not gotten the oil and filter changed, yet. I have been obsessing over the pros and cons.
I was worried about

• Jacking up the car and/or buying ramps then I saw an old man with a car wheel parked on one curb and that looked like a possible solution.
  • Expense of all the supplies.
  • Collecting and recycling the oil.
  • Interacting with the oil change personnel and possibly being talked into other purchases.
  • Dealer or Oil Change Shop.

Right now, I am leaning towards the dealer or oil change shop.

Did you just get this vehicle ? What did you do in the past for oil changes ? I just have a hard time understanding that this is the first time you have had to make this decision .

I never changed the oil/filter on this car, myself. I have either brought the car to an oil change shop or to a Mazda dealer. This time around, I started thinking about working on my car myself.

If you are referring to oil change stations such as Jiffy Lube, if they try to sell you the more expensive oil, just say no and get the regular stuff.

However, If you are not afraid of the idea of working under the vehicle and getting a bit dirty, buying a floor jack and a pair of jack stands is just a one time investment that will help you save money in the long run. Just don’t get the stupid cheap floor jacks from Walmart.

You can also go to an independent shop for an oil change. The one I used to go would refill any fluids that are low in my car, check tire pressure and rotate them for free, they also would also do a quick inspection of my car which is something you don’t get at Jiffy Lube.

I’d stay from Jiffy-Lube type places. They use untrained people and make many mistakes. Such as leaving the drain plug off, using the wrong oil, putting the oil in the transmission, etc. Use a local independent or the dealer.

3 Likes

Yes indeed. I was going to say this.

That’s not entirely true. Many quick lube shops are franchises and then it is up to the owner to make sure the workers are properly trained. The JL I have used does have trained people changing oil and filters. The shop has ASE certifications displayed in the waiting room. I won’t let them do anything but change engine oil and maybe filters, and those certs indicate to me that they can do it. There is a shop foreman that checks oil level and that all caps are replaced properly. Maybe not all do that, but this shop does. It’s not all roses. They charge $30 more for semisynthetic oil and $60 more for full synthetic oil. That’s robbery and I won’t pay it.

Those certifications only prove that an individual passed a multiple-choice exam

ASE doesn’t do any hands-on testing . . .

To be fair, I have lots of ASE credentials . . . 14 of them, I believe . . . but it doesn’t actually mean I can do it in real life. It means I’m capable of passing some written tests. Some of them are very hard, don’t get me wrong, but it doesn’t mean I can walk the walk, so to speak

ase credentials, and it shows that you mean to keep up to date. But you still have to back it up with good work practices, correct diagnosis, verify the repair, etc.

as far as credentials on the wall . . . who’s to say the guy working on your brakes is actually ase-certified in brakes?

And who’s to say the guy that isn’t certified isn’t doing things perfectly?

Who’s to say the guy that is certified does things right? He might be cutting corners, he might cross-thread something, or make some other mistake

2 Likes

I said those guys change my oil, oil filter, and maybe the engine air filter. I also said I don’t let them do anything else. Why are you talking about the anything other than what I was talking about?

That’s a very good point. I don’t subscribe to the “hand tightened” term either, for that very reason. It’s ambiguous. What I do on both by truck and Corolla (and did on my old VW Rabbit) : tighten the filter until it just starts to seat. This easily felt as the force required to turn the filter increases quite noticeably. From there I tighten a further 3/4 turn. I could do this w/o a filter wrench, but it is easier and less likely to mangle or burn my fingers using one. You could ask somebody strong to do it the first time by hand, and use that to calibrate how far it needs to be turned after the seating point on your car.

If you decide to give it a go, changing your own oil probably won’t be as difficult as you imagine; but it is a good idea to ask somebody who has done it before to come to your driveway and guide you through the steps the first time. I use ramps for my Corolla. My truck sits high enough I can just crawl underneath with it parked on the driveway.

OReilly’s advertises an oil change kit for $6 in their current flyer. Pan, funnel, rags, hand cleaner. Not much to invest if you want to give it a go and try it at least once.

you’re the one that mentioned the ase credentials that the shop prominently displayed

And since you did bring it up, that opens it up to discussion, by my estimation

Please don’t try to dictate what part of your conversation I’m supposed to talk about, and what’s off-limits

:smiley:

1 Like

Your comments are out of the context of mine. That’s what I wanted to point out.

My wife of 30 years always did quick lube, never had a problem, sure many have a problem but it is not necessarily the kiss of death to go to one.

I went to one twice, the second time they broke my key, requiring a tow to the dealer.

1 Like

Well, thank you for pointing that out

But I might add something . . .

When somebody writes something, the guy reading it might not focus on the things that you think he will, or the things that seem more important to you

Not everybody’s mind works the same way

My way might be different, but it’s not necessarily wrong

:thinking:

Some of the franchised places can be real hit or miss. I wouldn’t go to the one where I now live unless I had to. They sell tire warranties that only they honor and always find a way to get out of paying. For example, they are void the first time you drive on a gravel road, among many other things. They dropped a buddies car of the lift once and then told him that he wrecked the car and brought it to them so he could blame them and get his car fixed for free. In dealing with the general public I can certainly see people actually pulling crap like that! Anyway, he isn’t the first with that kind of horror story. Somehow they stay in business as they are right in the middle of town in a great location.

The one going by the same name in the town where I grew up has a good reputation. My parents won’t go anywhere else and have never had issues. I just looked at Yelp. The one where I live now has a 1 star rating while the one where I grew up has a 5 star rating. Some of the chain places apparently vary quite wildly between locations. I am sure a lot depends on the local management/ownership.

That being said, read the reviews online and see what others say about a shop before you go. Changing the oil isn’t hard but could be risky to you or your engine if you mess up. It probably isn’t a bad idea to just go to a mechanic if you are unsure about this job. It isn’t hard but the risks are high if something goes wrong.

I went to the Mazda Dealer to have the oil and filter changed.