Changing Oil and Filter 2001 Mazda Protege

Does anyone have information on how to get a tool for changing the oil filter for this 2001 car.

The Owner’s manual states Changing oil filter Because you need a special tool to retighten the filter, an Authorized Mazda Dealer should do the work.

-Melissa :smiley:

Does your filter look like this one listed on Rock Auto?

Do you see anything unique about this filter that might require a fancy special Mazda wrench? I don’t. All different kinds of filter wrenches available a the very same place you can buy the filters. Just get one that fits the filter you have and the one you are buying. Or use a strap wrench that fits nearly any filter!

1 Like

ownerManualPage

Yeah, so?

Go here, watch the video, and see how it is done;

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2002_Mazda_Protege_ES_2.0L_4_Cyl./oil/change_oil_and_oil_filter

1 Like

There is no special tool for tightening the oil filter.

Oil filters are always hand tightened.

Here’s the procedure for replacing the oil/oil filter on your vehicle.

Tester

I looked at those websites briefly and they look like they will be helpful. Thank you.

“hand tightened” depends on the person’s strength.

The same generic oil filter tool used to take the filter off cane be used to make the 1/4 turn after the new one seats .

There are so many places that have cheap oil changes why even mess with doing it your self .

-did not look like there was any oil on the dipstick during the check
Read Oil Level

One of the things that makes it difficult is that the car needs to be jacked up to get the oil filter.

There are various ways to do this. Some filters come with wrench flats spot welded onto the butt end of the filter to make installation and removal easier. They also sell claw type wrenches but I more prefer these for removal since they can tear up a filter if you aren’t careful. Then there are fitted cap ones that slip onto the butt of the filter and you can turn with another wrench. I saw a cheap set of these at the new Harbor Freight in town the other day and am considering them for one of my cars where getting at the filter isn’t super easy.

It’s far safer to use ramps for oil changes and much other under-car work. If you use a jack, also use carefully placed jack stands on both sides of the car. It’s much faster and safer to use ramps.

Once you are safely under there and looking at the oil filter, seeing how much clearance there is around it and over it, the choice of tool becomes clearer. I have usually found that if the outside of the filter is clean, I can remove it with my hand inside a rubber-faced glove. On my hard-to-access Honda Civic I prefer the Fram filters that have a rubbery grip surface.

1 Like

How do you get on the ramps without going over the ramps?

Practice, practice, practice. If you do drive over the ramps you’ll have to jack it up to pull the ramps out. Then try the ramps again. With an automatic trans, use left foot on the brake. It is surprising how much power it takes to get a stationary vehicle up the ramps, but you get the hang of it.

@ArlHtsMelissa Have you never done an oil change before ? Do you even know if your car will go up the ramps without tearing the front air dam off ? What are you going to do with the old oil as it needs to be disposed of properly . The more you post the more I think you should not do this yourself .

I changed oil/filter a few times back in the late 1970s, early 1980s.

Thanks for mentioning the front air dam. I will look at that.

I would have to find a place to recycle the old oil.

Now THAT is scary! That usually means the level is very low. Almost low enough to destroy the engine.

Don’t know where you live but anyplace around me that sells oil must take the oil back to be recycled. I like 4, 5 or even 6 quart oil jugs for that reason. If the car takes 5, I buy the 5 qt size and use that for my recycling. The jugs will always hold a bit more than they originally contain. Old windshield washer fluid and bleach jugs are good, too.

1 Like

I meant the video of the dipstick oil check did not look like there was oil on the dipstick.

The last time (a few weeks ago) I checked the oil on my car’s dipstick, it looked OK.

Ignore that, if it was fresh oil it may not show up on camera.

Label the containers.