Messy Oil filter change

filters
oil

I have a 99 Mazda Protege and my oil filter is hard to reach. Anyway, its above the bottom frame of the car and when I go to change it out after I’ve drained all the old oil, theres always some left in the filter that pours out when I unscrew it and gets everywhere or sits in the frame and drips onto the garage floor for weeks. I know that was a run-on sentence but does anyone know what I’m doing wrong or if there’s a better way to do it? Thanks

The cure are called “shop rags”. Use several of them and work quickly…

Stab a hole in the top, or side, of the filter. Loosen the filter a half turn to let the oil drain into a funnel, or catch-pan. After it drains, remove the filter. Less mess.

As I always do, change the oil outdoors and take a hose to the puddles and car frame.

I take a small plastic bag (grocery)and after you loosen it-- put the bag around and up as high you can go-- then finish unscrewing the filter and slowly bring the filter down, grabbing the top with the other hand…

They made the 87 truck the same way. Thank you Mazda. You haven’t changed enough.