Changing Oil and Filter 2001 Mazda Protege

Oil changing procedures have not changed much since then.

Almost all manufacturers put wording like that in their manuals these days. They don’t want you servicing your vehicle at all. Long gone are the owners manual that actually had instructions on how to do an oil change and how to change sparkplugs. My 1990 Pathfinder actually came with a special spark-plug socket and wrench to get the back two plugs.

I own a Protege. No special tools needed to re-tighten the filter. You tight them by hand, everybody does it by hand.

As for getting it out. the filter is behind the engine and the axle is in the way. You have the room to get it out by hand but a filter wrench of any kind may help you get it out easier.

I would prefer to be able to take the filter out by the wheel well but in this car the alternator is in the way. :rofl:

The latest Saturn S-Series has very clear instructions in the owners manual on how to change your own oil and filter, ATF fluid and filter etc. It has real pictures showing you the filters and their location. I was really surprised… :astonished:

When was the S series last produced? I wouldn’t call that a newer car.

The third gen S-Series were made from 99 to 02. I own a 99-00 Protege and there is nothing on that manual to guide you if you want to service your own car.

Original owner of a 2003 Protege5, 217K miles and still going strong. If you own a 3/8" ratchet set, the simplest tool for removal is the socket type that slips onto the end of the filter and grabs the flat spots on the outside. When you are buying the filter, use it to find out which size tool you need. You should have plenty of room to get your arm up in there and swing the ratchet to get it off. When you install the new one, screw the filter on and note when the o-ring makes contact with the sealing surface - you should be able to feel the resistance start. Tighten it another 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn (180 to 270 degrees of rotation). If you can’t do it by hand, use the filter wrench and ratchet to do it but don’t over-tighten it.

I’ve been wrenching cars for a very long time and own several types of filter wrenches; the end sockets, the end claw and a couple of types of band wrenches. For the Protege I’ve found the end socket type I described the easiest to use.

I recall a topic about oil change cartridges where a cartridge would be swapped without all the draining, collecting, filter changing, and pouring. The cartridge sounds like a good idea.

The ‘cartridge’ you described doesn’t exist for any available car, unfortunately. If it did, it’d have to be huge, how would it fit under the hood?

It would be at the bottom of the engine. Made out of what kind of material - I do not know? Would it hold only the cooled oil or would it withstand high temperatures? Could it serve two purposes - heat shield and oil reservoir?

That is an interesting concept. It would basically be like removing your entire oil pan as a module. It seems like there would be enough extra cost to this but maybe you could just have them exchanged like an empty propane tank for your grill. You would just have to get one filled with the oil type your vehicle requires and they would have to standardize this to work with any car.

That is in interesting concept though.

Here are the cap type filter wrenches we have been talking about.https://www.harborfreight.com/end-cap-oil-filter-wrench-set-4-piece-63707.html

I guess this is a better set but with only 3x sizes.

Here is an adjustable. https://www.harborfreight.com/universal-3-jaw-adjustable-oil-filter-wrench-63690.html

The Castrol Nexcel oil cartridge;

The new system, which Castrol has dubbed Nexcel, must be integrated into vehicle engines at the design stage. That means it won’t hit mainstream cars for another five years — about the length of time between major model changes for many automakers.

Looks like that’s a dry-sump oil system with a removable tank/filter combo. That way there’s only the inlet and outlet to seal. But I wonder about its practicality - cars today have a wide range of oil capacities and filter sizes - would that result in a wide range of ‘cartridges’? Who’s going to stock them all?

The Castrol website has a lot of information about it. :smiley:

This new system from Castrol is not only now going to eliminate the owner doing their own oil changes, but it looks like it’s going to drastically increase the cost too.

Theoretically it should actually be cheaper this way but in reality almost nothing new like this ever does result in any savings.

The new container is recyclable/reusable probably dozens of times or more before needing to be replaced. The original container is used to deliver and return the oil. No expense in oil bottles to temporarily hold the oil between manufacture and use. No recycling or disposal of those bottles. Cartridge based filter with no external housing. Integrated into the cell so no separate packaging required. No pollution of returned oil. How many people mix things into their return oil that shouldn’t be in there and add to recycling cost? Finally LABOR. Huge savings there and typically the 300lb gorilla in any cost analysis. In the end, they will charge the same or slightly more and pocket any savings…

The biggest dealbreaker from my perspective is they don’t talk about ANY retail sales of this product. I don’t see why not. It’s actually far more foolproof and easy to do than traditional oil changes. The only reason I can see is an opportunity to wean people off DIY (i.e. GREED).

It would be cheaper for the oil change companies which I seriously doubt they’ll pass that savings on to the customer. They’ll just increase profits.

It’ll be more expensive for the do-it yourselfer like me.

Pretty sure that’s what I said!

So OP, did you manage to change the oil filter yet? :rofl:

But this new system does NOTHING to solve oil consumption and leaking oil

nevertheless . . . rest assured that cars will be marketed as needing nothing between services. Customers will think they don’t need to check the oil level. They’ll somehow think it’s a “sealed” system that doesn’t need to be checked at all. And they’ll think that, because it will be advertised as such :smirk:

And I agree it will cost more, in spite of the fact it should cost less

Case in point . . . those oil filter inserts, which should cost less, because there’s no metal housing. But somehow they seem to cost MORE. And those oil change specials often don’t apply to them. Footnotes typically state it costs more to service those cars, versus a car with a spin-on filter.

1 Like