Chainsaw gas--ok for cars?

So how many people run around in cars that go through a quart of oil per 700 to 1000 miles and are told that it’s normal by the car manufacturer?
It would seem to me that oil contamination from this would be a lot worse than the diluted amount of oil in some 2 cycle gasoline.

Re: the issue of dilution: I should add that I kept my 2-cycle mix in a 5 gallon gas can.I heated with wood cut from the stump, and used a fair amount of fuel.

I’d ask if those of you who are comfortable pouring leftover 2-cycle mix into your vehicles would all still be comfortable doing so if the volume being added were 4 or 5 gallons?

I don’t put it into something else simply because it’s over 30 days old, but if I have some left at the end of the season I pour it into something else rather than wasting it. I have had carburetor problems on small engines and my motorcycle due to stale gas left in them from season to season.

Just an observation here. It seems that ethanol will hide a great deal of water in fuel. I have seen gasoline so diluted with water that an engine would not run on it but the ethanol kept it blended. It would not settle out. The chemical tell-tale used to test for water in gas tanks would detect it though.

Let’s hope the OP responds, is it a 4 stroke, or a 2 stroke engine?

“Let’s hope the OP responds, is it a 4 stroke, or a 2 stroke engine?”

He said it was a chain saw so 2 cycle. No such thing as a 4 cycle chain saw unless its a saw mill.

I suggest reducing the left over fuel mix by mixing less at a time. Everyone likely has their own needs, but how about mixing only what you know you are going to use in the next few days. Use fuel stabilizer if needed. Don’t mix it until you need it and only what you are going to use right away.

If at the end of the season, then just mix a little in with your fuel in your car at a time.

Thats what Ive been doing…mix as I go…the weed wacker holds what 16oz? which is half a Quart…4 Qts to a gal…one oz mix oil per Qt…@32:1 ratio gas to oil…so I dash in a half oz of oil to the wacker tank…been doing this for over 10yrs now…prob longer…and I NEVER have mixed fuel sitting round…yay prob solved

HOW can I pour a half oz of oil into the tank? At this point in my life I can pour a shot of whiskey in a shot glass blindfolded without spilling a drop…muscle memory…lol…so that means I can also pour half a shot pretty close…esp sober! any overage is only getting me into a safer ratio zone so…mix on

Fooled again re 4 stroke chainsaw engine?
http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/

Well done. The answer should have been “It’s gas with oil in it so two stroke.”

Thirty posts…Circle the wagons and get ready to jerk…JTIMBURR, the OP, posted once, #1. He never came back…I don’t blame him…

Why Caddyman, there were a lot of good differing opinions, a lot of viewpoints to be gained, you are saying too many responses is a bad thing? Sure I know we are on the spam list in his/her email, and evidently not a troll hoping poster will respond, but why do you not blame him/her?

Just for information : If you buy Sthil 2 stroke oil, it already has fuel stabilizer in it. I buy it in 6 packs from my local lawnmower and small engine shop and it is cheaper than the junk at the big box stores.

Next question will be: “How often do I have to change oil in my chain saw?” Shoulda known it was a trap.

This is going to go 50 posts, easy…

I have a 2 stroke engine on my rototiller and a 2 stroke engine on my snowblower. When I put each piece of equipment away for the season, I add fuel stabilizer to the gas tank. If I have leftover fuel from the winter, I use it in the tiller in the spring and any leftover fuel from the tiller, I use in the snowblower. I’ve never had a problem.

My son had an old mower from my wife’s parents’ estate. He used it until a neighbor who was moving gave him a slightly better mower. He used that mower for two years until it failed. He got out the old mower from my wife’s parents’ estate. It started right up with the old gasoline that was in the tank. I think that the 30 day limit on fuel in the OP is a little extreme.

Well, it’s your engine. If you are going to do this I would recommend doing it just after you have filled your car’s tank, and add some fuel additive. Of course, this assumes you have bought the chain saw gas at a good filling station, and the chain saw’s tank is clean (may want to run it through some kind of filter to get rid of particles). Dumping the fuel into your car’s gas tank is a lot better than dumping it onto the ground.

On every thread that is posted on here you get about 50% yeas and 50% nays.
I use left over gasoline in my vehicles, but sometimes they act like weedeaters!!

We get differences of opinion for reasons that have nothing to do with using small amounts of gasoline enhanced with two stroke oil at a 50 to 1 or 100 to one ratio. First, gasoline can last a very long time in a tightly capped contained in cold winter temperatures. It is safe to use gasoline during and after the winter months even without stabilizing under those conditions. Secondly, ethanol and it’s affects cannot be minimized. But, humidity control during dry winter months and again, a tight storage container does much to minimize it’s effects.

So, using two stroke oil in these small amounts has little if any effect, especially considering that two stroke oil actually stabilizes gas itself to some degree. Just make sure it’s not degrading do to the combination of effects of temperature, ethanol, humidity and time, all of which are interrelated. So, additives for both stabilizing and the effects of ethanol is a safe way to deal with gas not used within 30 days and sitting some time in warm and/or humid weather. Especially if you are going to add it to an expensive piece of machinery…like a car. You need to add this stuff as it comes out of the pump to gain max benefits. If it were just the Two stroke oil, relax. It’s nothing to fret about.

I don’t think you need to stay up late at night wondering about this!!. You probably don’t have $3.00 worth of gas anyway.