Cel: p1739 p0401

99 Accord, 158,000 miles.

CEL came on today and those two codes are being painted.

The independent mechanic that I patronize can handle the EGR issue however i’m alarmed about P1739, “automatic transaxle conerns.” The fluid level / condition is good, it’s been changed every 20,000 miles since I bought the car second hand when it had 118,000. I haven’t had any issues with slipping, etc.

Transaxle on its way out?

jmw

If you’ve got no issues with it, and you’ve been taking good care of it, then it’s likely either the sensor is going, or there’s a problem with the wiring.

Have you been using genuine Honda transmission fluid? I’m not sure if the 99 model is picky, but I"m pretty certain some other years are very picky. If you’re using the local drive-in and change it chain, I’d recommend not going there again, and use either a good local mechanic, or the dealer. Both will likely be more, the dealer the most, but it’s just not worth losing an engine, transmission, or any other parts because of their failure to follow simple procedures. There are stories everywhere about them messing up car after car.

You didn’t tell us what transmission it is, although I’m assuming (bad, I know) it’s the automatic, and you didn’t tell us which engine (V6, or I4?). So it’s a guess.

Chase

Yes,

The first time, it was changed at an independent shop that I verified to carry Honda Z1 before the work was done, the second time at the dealer.

I’ve been vigilant (anal) about the maintenance of this particular transmission.

It’s the automatic / I4 VTEC. Thanks.

Unfortunately, you don’t know how often, or if, the transmission fluid was changed prior to your purchase of the car at 118k miles. That could be a problem.

I agree with Chase, you should probably use only Honda transmission fluid in this car. If you haven’t been doing that . . .

Is there really a code that says, “automatic transaxle concerns?”

Doesn’t really tell you much, does it?

yeah, weird, isn’t it? …

P1705 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1706 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1738 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1739 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1753 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1758 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1768 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1773 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1785 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1786 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1790 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1791 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1792 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1793 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1794 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1870 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1873 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1879 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1885 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1886 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1888 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1890 Automatic Transaxle Concerns
P1891 Automatic Transaxle Concerns

From ODB-Codes.com

Drive it until it won’t drive, and then fix it or scrap it…