Car won't start until is cools off?

subaru
starting
impreza

Hi there. I have a 1995 Subaru Impreza that I have been nursing along for the past 14 years. Recently, if I drive for a decent length of time (~10 miles), tutn the car off to go into a store, and then try to start it up again, it won’t start. It turns over fine, but never fully starts. If I let it sit for 20-30 minutes, it will start back up again. The temperature gauge reads normal–between hot and cold. Is there another temperature sensor that might be malfunctioning, telling the car that the engine is too hot to start? Where/what is this called? Thanks a ton!

Its very unlikely to be any kind of temp sensor telling the car not to start.

The next time this happens, hold the gas pedal to the floor as you turn the key. If this helps get it running take it to someone, explain what is happening & how you get it running. They will (should) check your fuel pressure regulator and fuel injectors for leaking.

Thanks–I’ll try it.

A failing fuel pump can also exhibit these symptoms.
Before you crank engine on a no-start … does your fuel pump give a 2 second prime (pump noise from the fuel tank) when you turn the key to ON (before cranking)?
No prime = bad pump.

Well, it happened again yesterday. I pushed the gas pedal down to the floor and it still didn’t start. I came back to the car a few hours later, and it started right up. I’ll listen for the fuel pump prime noise. It’s just strange to me that it will start right up after sitting for a few hours.

Next try unscrewing the gas cap, and then start it.

If electrical stuff fails its first signs are often heat related failures. The gas in your tank does act to cool the pump, but it still gets hotter as it runs. It could be right at the point where its ok enough as long as it is running - but can’t get going again. Just a WAG.

So yes, listen for it to prime next time.