Car won't start off and on

I have a 99 monte carlo sometimes it this won’t start , it has power from the battery i don’t think it is the alternator if i run it though the gear shift a few time it starts fine its a automatic trans . could it be when i am turning it over its not getting a spark? please help

You need to describe exactly what happens when it won’t start - i.e. what exactly happens when you turn the key? Nothing? Click? Crank but won’t fire up?

have you tried starting it in neutral instead of park?

no, but if it happens again i will thanks did not even think of that. what could be wrong? it worked the other morning then it stoped again i got it stared then shut it off when i got home turn it on and off for 5 times each time it started!

“what could be wrong?”

You need to describe exactly what happens when it won’t start - i.e. what exactly happens when you turn the key? Nothing? Click? Crank but won’t fire up?

Sound familiar? Look. There are no start problems that involve the engine cranking just fine but the car won’t run. Then there are no start problems that involve the engine not cranking at all. No one can tell you a thing about what might be wrong until you describe the problem.

The thing about neutral would only apply if you turn the key and nothing happens. There is this thing called a neutral safety switch. Its a safety device that won’t allow the car to start unless the transmission is neutral or park. Sometimes it can wear out - but the contacts for the park position wear first.

Anyway…this only applies if you turn the key and nothing happens. But you still haven’t said anything about what “sometimes it this won’t start” means

it will not do anything if the radio or heater was left on they come on but the car will not turn over. it does have power to the battery sorry i am not good with car stuff.