Car stalls when braking suddenly

2008 Dodge Charger 70K miles, out of bumper to bumper warranty, has lifetime powertrain warranty. Maintenance done on manual suggested schedule.

I bought this car new in 08 and have noticed on occasion when braking suddenly the car stalls. I have to put it in park and restart the car - it runs fine after that. This has only happened maybe five times in 70K miles and it has only happened in extremely sudden braking. What could cause this, and should I be concerned? Dodge has zero recalls on this car and the manufacturer suggested having a dodge dealership diagnose the problem. I am reluctant to sign a blank check to a dealership for such a minor/infrequent issue.

Wouldn’t this be covered under the “lifetime” powertrain warranty, assuming that the powertrain lifetime is move than 70K miles?

One possibility is that the TC isn’t unlocking fast enough for some reason.

Your torque converter has a lock-up feature to improve gas mileage…If you stop very suddenly, sometimes you can beat the computer and bring the car to a stop with the converter locked, which will stall the engine…Normally, the converter unlocks as you brake to a stop, allowing the engine to idle…

The TCC unlocking is completely plausible.

But also try this - sit at idle and hit the brakes in a way that is equivalent to one of these episodes. What happens?

It depends on what the problem is, but my guess is no. Warranty is unlimited miles and unlimited time as long as original owner.

Lifetime powertrain warranty per Dodge website:

Parts Covered The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers these parts and components of your vehicle?s powertrain:

Gasoline Engine: cylinder block and all internal parts; cylinder head assemblies; timing case, timing chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets; vibration damper; oil pump; water pump and housing; intake and exhaust manifolds; flywheel with starter ring gear; core plugs; valve covers; oil pan; turbocharger housing and internal parts; turbocharger wastegate actuator; supercharger; serpentine belt tensioner; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Transmission: transmission case and all internal parts; torque converter; drive/flex plate; transmission range switch; transmission control module; bell housing; oil pan; seals and gaskets for listed components only. NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME.

Front Wheel Drive: transaxle case and all internal parts; axle shaft assemblies; constant velocity joints and boots; differential cover; oil pan; transaxle speed sensors; transaxle solenoid assembly; PRNDL position switch; transaxle electronic controller; torque converter; seals and gaskets for listed components only. NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME.

All Wheel Drive (AWD): power transfer unit and all internal parts; viscous coupler; axle housing and all internal parts; constant velocity joints and boots; driveshaft and axle shaft assemblies; differential carrier assembly and all internal parts; output ball bearing; output flange; end cover; overrunning clutch; vacuum motor; torque tube; pinion spacer and shim, seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Rear Wheel Drive: rear axle housing and all internal parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shaft assemblies; drive shaft center bearings; universal joints and yokes; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Four-Wheel Drive (4X4): transfer case and all internal parts; transfer case control module and shift mode motor assembly; axle housing and all internal parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shafts assemblies (front and rear); drive shaft center bearings; universal joints and yokes; disconnect housing assembly; seals and gaskets for the listed components only.

I will give this a try this afternoon and post results tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks for the suggestion.

if this is the problem, which seems like a valid explanation, is it cause for concern or just a quirk to live with?

The torque converter sounds like a good place to look. I would also consider the possibility of a poor electrical connection somewhere. Look at the ground wires connecting to the frame or engine. Check the battery cables. Remove clean and replace both ends of any such wire.

tried slamming on brakes when idle in park - did not affect the engine in any way. Car continued running as usual.

Then I think you have 2 main possibilities. (That “test” takes a brake booster leak out). One is the TCC as mentioned. The other is a somewhat sluggish idle air control (IAC) valve. This is an electrically controlled valve that is what regulates the air when you’re off of the throttle (e.g. at idle). If it is sticking it might not be opening up fast enough. These are normally pretty easy to pull off and clean.

will check this tonight, thanks for the suggestion.