Car stalling when low on gas

I have a 1995 acura integra. About 15 miles afer the “low fuel” light comes on the car will stop accelerating. I will pull over to the side of the road (the car ceases to accelerate). Eventually the car will stall out. I start it again and am able to accelerate for another mile or 2 until the same thing happens. I know, I know, don’t let it go that low on fuel! The interesting thing is that the few times this has happened, I’ll go right to a gas station and fill up. I have a 13 gallon tank and each time I have filled up with only 10 or so gallons. Also, my fuel gauge is normally showing about 3/4 when I “fill up” my tank.

Any ideas?

Your engine is starving for fuel. The fuel pump has to work harder when the fuel level is low in the tank. The fuel pump is starting to fail and/or the fuel line is restricted in some way, most likely due to a clogged fuel filter.

I replaced the fuel filter in January 2008. What reason would my “full” tank only show 3/4 of a tank on the fuel level indicator?

I think your car has one assembly in the tank that holds the fuel pump, pickup scoop and fuel level float. For some reason this assembly is sitting too high in the tank, so the gas level never gets high enough to make the gas gauge read full and the fuel level drops below the pickup,allowing it to suck fumes, before the tank gets close to empty. Have you driven over anything that hit the bottom of the car?

It’s always possible that I hit the bottom of the car, but not within the last year or so. This is a fairly recent phenomena. It’s only been within the last few months.