Car Security Alarm - Recommendations?

What gauge size should I use?

I am using it too - it seems nice to have one more layer.

Depends on the size of the fuse. If it’s a 15 amp circuit, 14 gauge wire and a fuse holder rated for at least 20 amps should be more than enough if you’re only running the wire for a few feet.

Thanks, thanks, thanks!
You guys rock.

Maybe this forum should include members photo :)-

On a truck I had back in the late 80’s, the dealer had installed a relay gizmo in the starter circuit so that you had to turn on the headlights to start the engine. About half the mechanics who worked on it had to come ask how to start the bloody thing, while the other half managed to figure it out in anywhere from thirty seconds to a couple of minutes. Some had undoubtedly seen a similar setup before.

I rather suspect that most anything we try will already be widely known in car theft circles – like all the good Hide-A-Key locations – but at least it might slow down some nervous kid enough that he’ll go seek out an easier target for his night’s joyride.

New cars can be purchased now with a system that can actually shut the engine down if it’s reported stolen and can locate the car using GPS. I haven’t looked into whether Lojack or some aftermarket alarm company sells an aftermarket system. You may want to check.

I’d only caution you that cars developing ghosts after aftermarket security system installations has become far too common. In your case you may want to take the risk.

With electronic alarms, usually, the only person inconvenienced is the cars owner…

Both my wife’s van and my new truck have one of those systems that, theoretically at least, prevents the engine from starting if anything other than a key with the correct chip in it is used. Anybody have any idea how easy it is to defeat such a system?

What I see in the movies - they remove the wires and rub on each other - get the car started.

Another is if you loose your key it could cost arm & a leg
Avalon had something similar - then it cost quite a few grans as the key has to come from factory.

A flip side to the “leave nothing for them to steal” theory is that thay become mad that there’s nothing to take and VANDALIZE anything and everything instead.
Yes, it cost me more for them to steal nothing than if I had left my tools and CDs in there.