Car Roadtrip games

I am listening to Episode #1248, and a caller has called about playing Padiddle, where you count cars with one headlight out as a roadtrip game. In the late 60s and early 70s, my two brothers and I played a game during family road trips of picking out station wagons and tractor-trailers (WITH air horns). If you saw one of these vehicles on the road ahead, you called out “beaver,” followed by the type of vehicle. I can not find any internet references to this game. Did you play it? I remember when I learned the game, so there are at least two car-loads of kids that knew of it. (I realize that the word beaver has other slang definitions that need not be discussed here.)

Road trip games ? Get serious , todays kids are looking at their phones watching movies or playing games.

Not all of today’s kids. Slug bug “color” is a neverending one, although they are harder to find.

I think that many–perhaps most–guys have looked for Beaver while on the road.
:smirk:

2 Likes

–Alphabet game- finding successive letters of the alphabet in order while driving- they have to start the word. Bill boards, license plates, car makes/models, etc. My 8 year old niece loves this one, until she gets the Q :rofl:

– as said, Slug bug is popular, but much harder to play than when I was younger. (we even added Slug Bug Twinkie for VW buses at one point)

– Counting different state license plates while on a long road trip, seeing how many different states we can find

–Padiddle is a fun one, and the added Padunk: where a car has a tail/brake light out.

not all kids prefer electronics the whole trip, and not all adults allow them the entire time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I heard prndl, (pernidle) relating to the letters on the column for the gear selector.

Never played Padiddle. I seem to recall playing a game trying to find license plates from as many states as possible. We kids in the backseat would sometimes try to get truck drivers to sound their horns, by making some sort of hand/arm signal to them. It worked quite often.

1 Like

Hmmm. Not in polite company though. And if you saw a padiddle first you got to hit the other person.

The history of Padiddle, and how it originally involved kissing and undressing

Unfortunately, there is no official source or record that explains the exact meaning and origin of Padiddle. Its earliest appearances are in the 1940s, when mentions of the activity appeared in Archie comic strips, song lyrics, and various folklore journals. Padiddle refers to a vehicle with one headlight burnt out. Passengers who point such cars on the road, hitting the ceiling of their own car and shouting “Padiddle!” earn points, with the amount varying based on the type of vehicle, location or amount of burnt lights, etc.

Padiddle wasn’t originally a point-based family game, though. It was a way for young lovebirds who were driving around town to exchange kisses. Instead of playing for points, participants played for the opportunity to receive kisses from the other person (or, if the lady preferred, to slap the man). Another way Paddidle has been played was that the last player to shout “Padiddle!” when one passed by would have to remove a piece of clothing.

The word itself is most likely a nonsense word, but could be related to “diddle,” which means to aimlessly pass the time. Because there’s no one official source, though, the game has taken on many names over the years, and no single one is technically the correct one. Likewise, there are no official rules to the game. But, if you’re playing with your family, we suggest avoiding anything involving kissing or removing clothing.

Well, something has to keep the population from declining to zero … lol … I’ve been watching a lot of the James Bond films during the pandemic, and wondering how these films could be rated PG??? The innuendo’s are so very transparent. Not complaining mind you, but my theory is this is some sort of gov’t conspiracy to increase America’s population … lol …

I didn’t know about that kissing thing, but could have used that walking my date home from a Bond movie. Had to have been a car with a light out on the mile walk.