Car paint advise for 22 year old camry

My car (22 years old, Blue Camry)'s paint is starting to peel, with around 160k miles. What are my options to fix the paint as economically as possible?
Appreciate any advice. Thanks

Is it a clear coat or the actual paint that is peeling? Is it chalking? Does the color of the paint come off on your hands if you rub your finger on areas that are exposed to the sun the most?

1 Like

Depends on your definition of “economically”.
Do you mean a cheap paint job that will last a year until you sell or trade it in?
Or, do you mean a paint job that will last another 10 years?
There is the national chain that specializes in low cost (cheap) paint jobs.
Or, you can check various local body shops. Check with friends about their experiences, you can also check Yelp reviews.

Likely it is your clear coat failing, which is not uncommon.
For really cheap, you could try doing it your self with clear coat spray cans, doubt it would look good.

2 Likes

Cheap repairs don’t look good. Good looking repairs are not cheap.

With some sandpaper and lots of elbow grease you could ready the car for paint. A case of spray cans with auto paint
 not just hardware store stuff
 might make it look OK from a distance. Or you could brush paint it
 also look OK from a distance.

Even that national budget paint chain is going.to cost you about $2000.

3 Likes

Mustangman summed it up very well.

Years ago, a neighbor decided to use an itinerant door-to-door bodywork/paint guy who went around our neighborhood. He sat on the curb for a few hours, applying Bondo to some areas, and “re-painting” many areas of the car.

When he was finished, her Volvo looked
 sort of
 “okay” if you viewed it from at least 50 feet away, and if you squinted your eyes. Within a few months, it looked absolutely awful–even if you stood a few hundred feet away.

The bottom line is

3 Likes

Some places I see a polythene like peeling. Some places I see a a white patch.

My car is not worth much; hence doesn’t make spending $2k which would be more than the worth of the car, hence requested ‘economically’. Hoped for a cheap job that makes it look ok while the family drives it around (car drives fine). Family is complaining about the looks a lot. Hoping to avoid purchasing a replacement car.

Patina, some people pay big money for that, although not normal for it on a Camry
 lol

I had the roof of my Corolla painted for about $250 at Econo Paint (a local shop), was it perfect, close enough for the 150K+ mileage everyday driver
 I said sand and paint, no body work
 The roof paint was gone as were most Corollas around that year, had a lot of people said it looked good

So find a local body shop that has been in business for years and use them
 Remember you get what you pay for, but then again I don’t think you are entering any car shows
 The paint will look good driving down the road and through parking lots

1 Like

Give them 2 choices
 Suck it up and take the car
 or
 Walk.

4 Likes

Actually, there is a third choice!
The family members who are complaining about the car’s appearance could chip-in to have the car professionally repainted.
:thinking:

7 Likes

You have a 22-year-old car that drives well and you’re hearing complaints about how it looks?

Me, I’d be glad to have a car like yours. I could park it anywhere and not worry about dings from other car doors. My car wouldn’t be a target for thieves. My bank balance would have some money for emergencies.

But your post takes me back to 1976. I was stationed in Germany at a remote signal site, far from the large Army posts further south. With a wife and two children, I didn’t want to buy a small car – Opel, VW, Fiat, etc – that would be deadly in a crash.

So I bought an old Mercedes, a 190 I think, big as a tank but with only a 4-cylinder engine keeping me out of the passing lane.

One problem: the Mercedes was black, and I’d read black is the color least visible to other drivers.

So one long weekend, in a rented empty 1-car garage, I repainted the car. Taking off whatever trim came off easily and masking the rest, I painted the entire car – twice – with a 3-inch roller. Took forever, but the cost was minimal. Plus I had no spray gun or compressor and wouldn’t have known how to use them if I did. A roller, though, that I could handle.

In the end, I had a white car, now as safe as I could make it for my young family. It must have worked. We were never in an accident, and I sold my car to another GI when my time in Germany was up.

Boy, this has taken me back to some good (and bad) memories. Thanks for the question.

I’m familiar with those 190 models, and I wouldn’t consider them “big as a tank” . . . although they were certainly bigger than a Polo or Corsa, for example

I’ll go a little off-topic . . . I’m not a fan of white cars

And I’m not sure if you recall this . . . for the longest time, the color white was among a short list of colors that were NOT subject to surcharge on new cars sold in Germany

People had to pay extra for a red car, for instance

So for me, a white car brings back memories of “too much of a cheapskate or too poor to check off any of the option boxes”

2 Likes

Similarly, Tesla apparently has an upcharge for any deviations from their three basic (red, white, blue) paint colors, but I think that the color selection might vary somewhat from one Tesla model to another.

In my area, the Teslas are ubitiqitous, and the paint colors seem to be essentially white, blue, or red, with a probable upcharge for any deviation from that color palette. I have yet to see a green, or silver, or black Tesla in my area.

As Henry Ford would say you can have it in whatever color you want as long as it is black.

1 Like

Yup. In February when I bought my Model 3 the base color was white. Blue and silver were $1000 while black was $1500 and red was $2000. Now silver is the base and white is $1000. I’m a cheapskate and didn’t pay extra for color. All other cars I looked at last year had upgrade prices for colors though so Tesla is no different in that respect.

But most cars have more than one color at base price.

2 Likes

How much more would you pay for a red car? Post above says red adds $2000 to the price of a Tesla. Would you pay it?

I would pay 0 additional dollars for a red car

I like red just fine, but I’m not paying extra

And I ABHOR Elon Musk’s personality, btw

Somebody would have to PAY me to drive a red Tesla

1 Like

I’ve thought about this a few times and while I understand the economy of it from a manufacturing standpoint, I am fundamentally averse to paying extra for basic color options. Probably because I grew up being able to select from a palette of color options and only the fancy ones were costing extra.

If I ever decide to buy a Tesla, I would probably invest that $2k in a wrap job. I’ve seen some pretty amazing colors and contrast jobs being done to them that are way better looking than some pedestrian looking monotone color