Car magazines at the doctor's office

I take a Sudoku book. I can do one or two challenger level puzzles between the time my appointment was scheduled and the time I actually see the doctor.

Leave the germs on the table,easiest place in the world to get sick,is in the waiting room of a Drs office(a lot of sick people congregate there)A lot of money changes hands there too,our poor Doctors own,Hunting camps,New 4wd pickups,airplanes,Horse farms etc,seems they got in early enough to get repaid for their education expense and have a little left over.

In the mid 1980s I was referred to a chiropractor by my MD. When I arrived at the clinic there was an early 1960s silver Facel Vega coupe parked out front in the Dr’s space. I had read an article about them. When I asked him if it was a 383 cu in he was amazed that I knew what it was much less that they had Chrysler engines.

A Facel Vega is truly a rare beast

I remember reading that the cars had “fake” wood trim on the interior. Fake in the sense that the trim was actually painted to resemble wood grain

Perhaps somebody can confirm or deny this . . .

Honestly, I don't understand medicine. I was in a large hospital in Eastern Ohio; they had a pianist on a grand piano in the lobby. Now, "soothing music for the healing process" notwithstanding, if you went to a hardware store (or heck, even a Vet)...wouldn't this smack of an affront, when the time came to pay?

Didn’t all the old west saloons and whorehouses have a piano player in them too?

My ophthalmologist always had good car mags… he also raced Porsches. Unfortunately, he recently retired.

Didn't all the old west saloons and whorehouses have a piano player in them too?
I'm assuming that could be economically justified by the increase in revenue, exceeding the cash outlay to have it there in the first place. I doubt people "buy more healthcare" due to the pianist!
(Just for clarification...for everyone out there in the "peanut gallery"...that's my personal opinion on the matter, and I reserve my right to express my personal opinion. To anyone who may "get mad" at my opinion: feel free to "get mad," and then "get glad" again.)

There was a dentist here who passed away not many years ago and his waiting room was an automotive enthusiast’s delight. He owned a speed shop, sat on the board running the local dirt race track, was a member of the SCAA and a die hard sports car racer to boot. He even owned an original Ford GT which had been wrecked on the outskirts of town one night about 10 P.M.

The car had traveled almost a quarter mile end over end and the state police issued no tickets because they “estimated the speed at 35 MPH and which was under the posted 65”. :wink:

The GT was a project he never got around to finishing due to having too many irons in the fire so the car ended up in the U.K. where it has now been completely restored.

You would not find any Home and Garden, Redbook, or National Geographics in his business. It was all car mags and mags with info on making them go faster along with trophies, plaques, and so on.

This guy was a total automotive gearhead and it was reflected in the piles of periodicals lying around.

Didn't all the old west saloons and whorehouses have a piano player in them too?
I'm assuming that could be economically justified by the increase in revenue, exceeding the cash outlay to have it there in the first place. I doubt people "buy more healthcare" due to the pianist!

Somehow, I doubt that anyone went into a whorehouse to hear a piano concert.

Several local doctors have fallen on hard times. Many have closed private practices and gone to work as ‘hospitalists’ whatever that means. A few filed bankruptcy. It would seem that political connections have a great deal of influence on the success of hospitals and doctors in this state.

The piano player was only there to dramatically close the keyboard cover before running out of the room when the desperado showed up.

You seem to have forgotten that it was where the bad guy hid behind. The only clue to his whereabouts was the bad playing, nervous piano player…

The piano player was only there to dramatically close the keyboard cover before running out of the room when the desperado showed up.

I thought he started playing in a minor key, ended phrases with diminished chords leaving the song unresolved, possibly even used the flattened fifth.

Harder yet to figure out is why when two people started fighting, the entire saloon would join in and fight each other, it’s like the people sitting at the bar drinking and catching up with the day’s gossip suddenly thought, “fighting! what a good idea, let’s us fight too!”.

Ah yes,Alcohol,fuel for the “ire”.

Harder yet to figure out is why when two people started fighting, the entire saloon would join in and fight each other, it's like the people sitting at the bar drinking and catching up with the day's gossip suddenly thought, "fighting! what a good idea, let's us fight too!".
Been there, done that. I've worked in and around bars, and yes, fights are "contagious" to a point: given sufficient alcohol, and a certain temperament, one often responds to a melee by the credo, "When in Rome..." Stopping this phenomenon, before it happened, was the mission--and a deuced hard one, at that!

It’s just yet another thing the movies get wrong, right along with six-shooters that never run out of ammo. I’ve seen real life fights and mostly everybody else just gets out of the way and watches or tries to break up the fight. Also, most real life fights are over in a matter of seconds not prolonged slug fests.

^Funny–the worst bar fight I ever was in (from the POV of trying to break it up) involved multiple belligerents, not wanting to leave at 2AM. By 2:10, 10 of the 15 patrons were swinging; I was pulling bodies off the pile. The worst offender was a female, who removed her stiletto and was swinging it, like a hammer, deep into the neck and back of another female. She only got about three swings, but that was enough–the other woman was bleeding copiously. Had I not been there, I suspect she would have assaulted the other woman until something truly unpleasant occurred.

So, yeah, it happens.

Not to mention the recent biker brawl in Waco involving the Bandidos and some other gang, although security camera videos shows most of them ducking behind tables and running for cover.

A friend took a job in the oil fields of Wyoming when he graduated from college in 1973. He said That he and his wife liked to go to a bar in town on Saturday night. They stayed until the cowboys had a belly full of beer and started fighting. The local field hands looked forward to it. My friends did not, and left the bar when the fights started.

Another friend from school worked one summer at a mine in Nevada. The full time miners loved fighting. One was.a former gold gloves s favorite pastime was asking to arm wrestle. When he got a hold on your one arm, he would sucker punch you with his other arm.

Ever own a chrysler e series?