Can't get wiper fluid to squirt

I stopped using “the blue stuff” after a batch of it that I purchased at either Walmart or the supermarket froze in the line leading to my rear washer. Since then, I have used only “the yellow stuff” made by Rain-x and someone else (maybe Prestone??) The yellow stuff is more expensive, but it just works a LOT better.

I have never used tap water in my washer reservoir, and would only do so if I was not near any stores and needed a small amount of water to tide me over until I could get to a store.

1 Like

There was a post here a few years ago by someone wanting to know if they could use the winter washer fluid in the summer . :astonished:

I always look on the container to see what temperature the washer fluid is good down to.

Not the maker/color.

Tester

So do I, so I was really pizzed-off that fluid labeled as being good down to sub-freezing temps froze in my washer line. Most likely there was a mixup on the labeling line, and what I was sold as “winter” fluid was really “summer” fluid.

In any event, the Rain-x stuff works really well, so I don’t mind the added cost. I buy two gallons at a time at Costco, so the price isn’t that high.

Well let’s vote. I don’t use water and never have. And I don’t use the yellow stuff, just because . . .well you know. Who wants that all over your car. And if in the great north country, you check the bottle for the freezing figures and don’t buy the stuff on sale for 50 cents.

I really appreciate the responses by you guys. I never expected so many guys to be interested in helping out a bewildered guy like me. I tried the pin stuck in the nozzle idea, but that did nothing. Then I removed the tube from the nozzle that was first in line. Tried the washer, but nothing came out of that line. Then I tried running a long wire down that tube, but again nothing came out. I’ve tried running the washer with someone watching under the front section of the car. The result? Still doesn’t work. Hard for me to accept defeat. Growing up, I managed to complete a lot of repair jobs on my various cars. But now, at age 82, it appears that I need to turn the job over to a “Car Talk” preferred shop. Can’t get down and dirty anymore. Thanks again to all for your help!

After using the windshield washer, look under the car for fluid dripping and a puddle. Rodents eat the washer tubing and cause leaks.

I’ll admit, I’ve used hose water in the summer just to get the dash light off. Yeah, yeah, it doesn’t work as well to clean the windshield, but it turns the light off. Good grief. Some act like it’ll make your windshield spontaneously combust.

1 Like

For most parts of the USA using plain hose water would result in a damaged pump/nozzles as it’d freeze in the winter. Not much worry about that in San Jose. When I lived in Colorado I used the commercial product. Here I’ve always used the Consumer’s Report diy recipe for glass cleaner. True enough, I have had to resolve occasional nozzle and pump problems over the years, so maybe the commercial stuff is a little gentler on the WW parts, and maybe it’s easier on the windshield wiper rubber as well. Still both of my vehicles, 30 and 50 years old, have the original pump and sprayers. The biggest problem I faced was the Corolla’s plastic sprayer broke when I removed it from the hood. I discovered a replacement part was unreasonably priced, so I took a chance & glued the broken one back together. JB Weld did the trick.

If by 'Car Talk ’ preferred repair shop on the Mechanics File I say don’t waste your time . Most of those are so old that they may not exist anymore or have different owners or mechanics. Use the local online rating sites for your area or a shop that friends or relatives use.

4 Likes

I was just kinda kidding.

I had some hail damage on my car. Hood, roof, trunk, etc. About 23 spots. The paintless guys did a great job. I didn’t use my washer very often so a few months later tried the washer and nothing came out. Investigating, the hoses were not connected to the nozzles. Investigating further, the barbs were broken off. (plastic nozzles mounted on hood so the nozzles had to be removed for the repair). Ok, they did a great job so went to the dealer to get a couple new plastic nozzles. In stock for $30. I didn’t want to use the suggested squirt bottle so pay I did.

Two not directly related comments (and the above suggestions are good).
We’re visiting our son and today while we were in his new (5,000 miles) Toyota minivan the out of wiper fluid light came on with a notice to go to the dealer to have this fixed! Toyota must be desperate for repair work! My son will manage this on his own.

The other is that about 5 years ago my leased Audi A4 kept running out of washer fluid with no obvious puddles. The first two times I brought it in they basically told me it was not happening, implying I didn’t know how often I filled the thing and they found nothing wrong (if they looked). The third time they sort of believed me, but found nothing. The fourth time they found the leak at the headlight washer connection.

oo goody for them real sharpies

There’s lots of car owners who prefer this method of car repair. Elderly widows, don’t want to be troubled, time is so valuable etc, they can’t justify even popping the hood. Instead the car tells them what to do, & just take it to the dealer for any and all problems that crop up.

Back in the day, I purchased used cars that didn’t come equipped with windshield washers. I would buy a kit from J.C. Whitney that consisted of a vinyl reservoir bag, nozzles, rubber tubing and a dome shaped foot pump with a check valve. Stepping down on the pump forced the fluid out the nozzles and taking one’s foot off the dome allowed fluid to be drawn into the reservoir for the next squirt of fluid. The system was simple and reliable.

2 Likes

That came factory on my '72 Duster:

Back in “the day”, that was also characteristic of OEM equipment. When my father bought his '66 Galaxie 500, it was our first car with windshield washers, and I really liked using them to clear the windshield. The problems however were twofold:

That reservoir bag held so little fluid that I could easily use-up all of it in a couple of hours on days when the roads had been salted.

and

The nozzles were so badly-designed and so badly aimed that a lot of fluid was wasted. Today’s WW nozzles emit a mist broadly over correct areas of the windshield, but the nozzles of yesteryear shot a heavy stream, which was frequently not directed properly–even after adjusting them. Much of that fluid was wasted.

@VDCdriver The 1955 Pontiac I bought used in 1962 had the nozzles at the base of the windshield wipers, but did not come with a windshield washer. It was a simple installation to.hook the windshield washer kit to the nozzles already in place. The stripper 1965; Rambler Classic 550 I bought in 1965 had neither windshield washer nor backup lights. I.had the Rambler dealer install a windshield washer and backup lights. The cost was $40. The windshield washer was nonelectric and was operated by a foot pedal very similar to the J.C. Whitney kit I installed on my 1955 Pontiac.
The windshield washer on my 1978 Oldsmobile was part of the windshield wiper motor. The pump part gave out. Rather than buy new wiper motor, I bought a “universal fit” windshield washer pump at Walmart. When I first connected it up, the pump.ran when I turned the ignition on. When I pushed the button, the washer went off. Since it was inconvenient to drive holding the windshield washer button in except when I wanted to wash the windshield, I examined the wiring diagram in the Oldsmobile service manual. I found that pushing the washer button completed the chassis ground. I switched the wires around and the windshield washer worked perfectly.
I still don’t understand why the windshield washer has to be so complicated. The non-electric system suited me just fine. The first car I rode in as a kid with factory equipped windshield washer was a 1946 DeSoto. It was a non- electrical foot operated pump.
Maybe I don’t appreciate progress. I am still using my Charles Babbage analytic engine computer. When I have a problem, the Geek squad sends Ada Lovelace out to fix the problem.

Yeah that system came from the factory on my 68 Dodge Dart. I think my 74 Olds was electric by that time. I remember I liked the foot pedal because I could select how much stuff to squirt on the windshield. I thought the electric version just wasted too much fluid. To be honest though I just don’t remember when the electrics went to full scale pumping and turning the wipers on versus pushing the button for what you wanted on the windshield.

Still I have found a gallon of the stuff goes a long way either way.