Can this tire be repaired?

They used a rope plug.

You consider him a parasite?
You have a much higher opinion of him than I do…
{:slight_smile:

:grin:

@db4690 I was just about to make another post, and saw you live in California. Maybe you can help.

A friend moved back here to NY recently, from CA, and registered her car here. She’s not sure if she’s supposed to return the CA plates, can’t find it on the website, and the hold times for the CA-DMV are really, really long to speak with someone.

They make us return our plates when we register in another state. Not sure about you folks. Any help would be most appreciated, from you or any of our CA friends.

I said I’d help by putting the question out there. Thanks!

@philderbill

Ha ha

I moved here from somewhere else

Unfortunately, I don’t know the answer to your question, because I won’t be ready to move out of the state just yet.

@asemaster may know the answer, because he used to live in CA, but relocated to the northwest

I’ve bought or brought a few cars from CA and registered them in WA. I still have a few CA license plates hanging on the wall in garage. 1DMT832, 1ABD393, 806RIJ.

Just keep the plates as a memento or scrap them.

I’ve had 3 vehicles from CA and generally the plates get scrapped. I think that I may still have a very early 70s CA motorcycle plate somewhere in my stash of crap. The plates back then were yellow on blue and I think they’re collectible now.

It seems like I remember someone coughing up a couple hundred dollars for an old CA cycle plate on eBay some years ago. Not necessarily street legal but looks good on a display bike.
Of course I’ve seen some old Harley titles sold on eBay for 4-500 bucks too and that could end up on the not so legal side of the ledger.

Yes, collect them, hang them on the wall…

To be continued…

License plates are issued to the vehicle in California, issued to the owner in most other states. In California and Nevada they are property of the state and must be surrendered if no longer used.

I receive notices for the Nevada DMV after I sell a vehicle questioning me of the possession of the vehicle and instructing me to turn in the license plates. I never respond, the vehicle is usually south of the boarder.

I purchased a used truck in 2008 located in Sacramento CA. I titled and registered this truck less than seven days later in the state of Nevada. This is my camping truck, not a daily driver.

In 2014 I received a letter from the California Highway Patrol instructing me to contact an investigating officer about a hit and run accident on a Los Angeles highway. The officer asked if I was able to contact the previous owner because it was suspected he was still using the old license plates, the plate # reported on the accident. I told the officer that wasn’t possible, the license plates are in a box with others in my garage (I should have pleaded the 5th).

The officer stated the those license plates should have been turned in before leaving the state and would send me an envelope to send the license plate back. He said he needed pictures of the truck to show it was not in a recent accident. I sent the officer pictures and never received a postal request for the plates. I think he wanted the plates as evidence but the pictures show I have a silver truck and they were looking for a black truck.

In general, CA license plates are not surrendered to the DMV. They stay with the vehicle when it is bought or sold.

If you have a specialty license plate, it stays with you (the “plate-holder”) to be transferred to your next car if you choose to do so. Exceptions occur only with certain plates in the case of death, such as with disability license plates.

Wow Plates stay with the car so it says, who would have thunk it.

Bad idea IMO, a new tire is cheaper than a visit to the hospital (if you are lucky that is) and winding up in the morgue will really ruin your day.

Thanks once again for all the great info. I’ll pass it on to my friend with the plates. Knowing her, she’ll probably keep them.

“Plates stay with the car so it says, who would have thunk it.”

+1

I knew that this was the practice in The UK, but I had no idea that any of the US states did the same thing…