Can my tire with a nail in it be repaired? (pic)

I got a tire pressure warning, so I went to my local NTB, and they said that the location of the nail in my tire means that it can’t be repaired. When I googled it, it seemed less clear that it’s not repairable. I’d appreciate your input! thanks :slight_smile:

tire.JPG

That looks to me like it goes through the belt and should be repairable. Close though. That tire doesn’t look to have a lot of life though so I would be reluctand to pay for a repair. I would probably just put a plug in it and replace it before any long trip.

I know that these days, a plug isn’t considered a proper repair,but I have driven many thousands of miles on plugged tires with never a failure. The worst that has ever happened was one that developed a slow leak.

My rule of thumb is that if a tire is less than half worn, I get it patched, more than half worn I plug it.

If nobody wants to ride with me, that’s OK. I like the silence.

2 Likes

Tire puncture repairs should only be performed between the outer tread groves of the tire, the shoulder area is not repairable.

Repair guide line are shown in this link; https://www.ustires.org/system/files/Puncture_repair_handout_17.pdf

2 thoughts:

1. The rules say that is not a repairable area and any tire shop that repairs that tire would be doing so at their own legal risk - and most won’t do that.

2. Technically, it’s a matter of risk. A repair there is less likely to fail than one nearer the shoulder - and even though the actual rate of repair failures is small, the consequences can be HUGE!! So many tire shops try to avoid those risks.