Something In My Tire... Can it be patched?

Will this be able to patched or will I need a new tire? Air is slightly leaking from it.

It’s outside the patch limit. No one will patch it for you.

4 Likes

No, it’s too close to the sidewall.

3 Likes

I doubt if any tire shop will repair that . Too close to the side wall . Of course when you take it in you will need to ask them to explain to you why it can or cannot be repaired.

1 Like

Alright, I thought maybe so. Thanks for the quick responses. I appreciate it.

1 Like

Is there an actual leak. That looks like a thumbtack…so I doubt it would actually penetrate past the tread.

I sprayed my tire with soap water and when I tried pulling it with pliers, it started to bubble up around it which I assume means it’s leaking.

1 Like

Looks like a duplex head nail to me. Used for temporary fastening of wood, such as for concrete form work.

8 Likes

That is a framing nail, about 4 inches in length.

3 Likes

Don’t pull the nail out. The tire will be flat in no time. I used to work near a scrap recycler, and sometimes picked up fasteners off the road in my tire. I’d over-inflate the tire to 38 psi and check every few days, pumping up when it got below 28. I did this until I could either patch the tire or replace it.

I wonder if your insurance will cover it. When I buy tires, they conme with road hazard insurance and I think that type would cover it.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. Do you think this can cause a potential tire blow out and needs immediate attention or should I be fine to drive it wasn’t inspect the small leak everyday? This tire is newer and it’s very disappointing that I have to buy a new one already.

Replace the tire , period . Or at least put the spare on if you have one. Don’t temp fate.

2 Likes

Yep, sticking out like that the nail can be doing more damage to the tire every time it hits the road. Replace it.

1 Like

When I said you could drive in it, I didn’t mean for more than the few days it takes to arrange for a replacement and have the new tire mounted. Your tire might go flat at 15 mph, or it might at 70 mph. Even if you can switch to a compact spare tire, you shouldn’t use it for much more than getting the damaged tire replaced. The over inflation method I mentioned was if you don’t have a spare, you can’t take a couple days to get the tire in for replacement. It’s not an indefinite bush fix.

I wouldn’t drive on that any farther than to get to a safe place to put on the spare.

2 Likes