Can I Waive The Included Maintenance on a Vehicle to Lower the Price?

I don’t really care because I am not buying a Toyota any time soon . But their web site still shows 36000 miles or 36 months and they have increased part of the Hybrid warranty from 8 to 10 years . Where are you getting those numbers ?

2 Likes

We were thinking of buying the new plug in hybrid suv, coming out next summer. When I looked at the marketing pamphlet, that’s where I got the information…

Are you in the US? Toyota has always been 3 yrs/36k, as far as I know.

That is for the Toyotacare service that comes with new Toyota vehicles . It is separate from the bumper to bumper warranty.

3 Likes

My Toyota warranty for 2017 lease is 3/36 and 6/60 power train, yes 3 years up sept at end of lease, bought 8 year 125k miles extended warranty from Toyota for $1400 the other day, has to be done 6 months before end of lease and we are going to buy out the car. And yes we had 2 years 5k tire rotation and 10k oil change included. Free oil changes and tire rotations over. Car listed at 30k, all the bells and whistles, 300 a month lease, so 10.8k payed at the end of the lease, buyout price 17,998, so not feeling screwed for a car with 17.5k miles. RAV4

Thank you. I’m relieved to hear that. Thank you for the correction.

1 Like

I’m kind of partial to my Acura 50,000 mile 48 month warranty like I had on my 86 Buick Park Avenue.

davepsinbox

I have gone back and reread my initial post. I simply said you could always walk away. Your replied with uncalled for nasty sarcasm. I have never started a fight in my life and a lot of people have mistaken my courtesy for weakness, but I have finished a lot of them. You accuse me of hiding behind the anonymity of the internet to attack you, but you are the one doing that. I have not attracted you at all until now.

You are taking out your anger at being cheated by the dealer on me, You rationalize it by saying you expect it and it is just part of the deal and they all do it.

Yet you felt compelled to come on here and complain about it, using terms like “frustration”, “absolute money grab” and, “not 100% happy”

In case I did not make my meaning clear, you are acting like an absolute jerk because it rankles you that you could not even stand up to a car dealer and I have never seen any of them that were the least bit intimidating.

5 Likes

What you don’t seem to understand is that here’s a difference between a source of frustration and a deal breaker. Yes, “The Napleton Experience” is a money grab but if not for that they’d get it some other way. @bing posted a while back, “Sometimes you can deal and sometimes you can’t so either shoot yourself in the foot and walk away or take your lumps and be done with it.” That’s the way I feel too. Obviously I was reasonably satisfied with the deal or I wouldn’t have followed through but no deal is perfect. I was willing to be a grownup and let this die but you had to keep it going. With any luck this will be the end of it.

70183321_525430021538773_5560037921488109568_n

2 Likes

You see walking away as “shooting yourself in the foot”.

With all the thousands of used cars for sale at any given time in my area, I view walking away from a dealership like this and never going back an ultimate time saver and reporting your experience on a public forum will lead to other people avoiding them.

See, civilized discourse about a difference of opinion.

3 Likes

Actually Dave should be thanked . By relating his vehicle buying experience more people might research The Napelton Auto Group and find the hundreds of complaints and go some where else .

And you think a Warranty is what determines a quality vehicle? Back in the 70’s one of the highest warrantied vehicle was a Chevy Vega…It was also one of the worse reliable vehicles ever made. For decades Chryco made the least reliable vehicles of almost any brand sold in the US…and yet they had the longest warranty. HMMM - I see a pattern here.

Good point. I also need to correct my statement about the length of the Toyota Warranty: it IS 3 years/36 months. I must have mis read the brochure at the car show.

I remember the days when the standard warranty on anything was 90 days. This applied to everything from alarm clocks to automobiles. In the case of the automobile, there was a mileage limit of 4000 miles, so the automobile was 90 days or 4000 miles. Although the 90 days or 4000 miles seemed low, it was sufficient in most cases to cover factory defects. Factory defects follow the negative exponential distribution. Most of the defects occur immediately after a new vehicle is put in service.
To me, it wouldn’t.make any difference whether my vehicle had a warranty of 2 years or 24000 miles or 3 years or 36000 miles. The probability that a defect will show up.between 24000 and 36000 miles is very low.
My 2017 Toyota Sienna has a 3 year or 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty as did my 2011 Sienna. I never had to use the warranty on either vehicle.
Both Siennas had a 24000 mile free oil change and tire rotation that came from the factory. The Toyota dealership is a mile and a half from my house.
I think it is important to select a dealer with a good service department and maintain a good working relationship with the service department. For example, I had to have a water pump replaced on my 2011 Sienna. A couple of days after I got the Sienna back and opened the hood to check the oil, I found that the mechanic had left a ratcheting box end wrench under the hood. I took the wrench back to the dealer’s service department. A year ago last January, Mrs. Triedaq fell on the ice and broke her ankle. She couldn’t.drive for about a month. I didn’t drive her 4Runner as much as I should have. I went out to start it and the battery was dead. I put my charger on the battery and when I was able to start the 4Runner, I took it to the Toyota dealership for an electrical system check. I thought I had driven the 4Runner enough to keep the battery charged. The service department checked the electrical system while I sat in the waiting room, drank two cups of their coffee and ate a half dozen of their cookies. Half an hour later, the service manager came into the waiting room and said there was nothing wrong. He advised me to take the 4Runner out for a fifteen mile drive. There was no charge for the electrical system check. I didn’t tell him about how much of the dealer’s coffee I drank or how many cookies I had eaten.

1 Like

Since it was late at night in St. Louis where I live when you decided to revisit this, I have to conclude that you have insomnia, you work nights, you had some unmet need to “finish the fight,” or you just don’t have a life. I responded once because my phone alerted me and I thought to myself, “Now what?” After that, I decided you could wait. You see, finishing this just isn’t that important to me, and frankly neither are you.

I’m not sure what your cartoon is supposed to symbolize because 1. I’m not the one seeking advice, 2. “the group” hardly has any sort of consensus in regard to my specific situation, and 3. you seem to be implying it’s somehow wrong to think for yourself.

As for your latest comments, I view walking away from a reasonable deal that might include a surprise or two as wasting time. The dealer needs to make a profit and they can do that in a variety of ways. While I’d prefer that they were honest and simply incorporated it into the base price, as long as the bottom line is reasonable it all works out in the end.

Let’s review: You told me I could have walked away from the deal, without knowing the details. When I told you my reasons for not walking away, you doubled down by saying, “Well I would have walked away,” which some folks would consider “big talk.” I gave you a well deserved (IMHO) sarcastic response. When you replied that you couldn’t wait to tell your friends, I pointed out that your friends would call BS, just as mine would in the same situation. You may not admit it but the anonymity of the internet emboldens all of us at one time or another and neither of us is immune. Now you’re saying I’m still angry at myself and at the dealer over being cheated in a transaction that took place months ago. I’m not angry, I wasn’t cheated, and it’s over and done. Your assumption, all the way through, that I was either stupid or gutless enough to let myself get cheated is what rankles, and that’s the reason for my response. No, you didn’t come out and use the word “stupid,” but it was pretty clearly implied. If I got carried away, I apologize but maybe you could make fewer assumptions about people you don’t know.

Finally, I’m not Catholic but Pope Francis has urged people to give up trolling for Lent so I’m going to take his advice and leave this discussion before I say something else I shouldn’t. Have a nice day.

@davepsinbox_157004 and @oldtimer-11 speaking of Lent, let us put this angle of the discussion to rest, and hope it doesn’t resurrect itself. :wink:

7 Likes

That is another thing I don’t understand . Why would someone want to be alerted at all hours just for a forum response . I have all of my notifications set to off .

1 Like

These were on new cars Oldtimer, not used cars and what I meant by shooting myself in the foot is that I ended up not getting much better deal by walking away and coming back again in six months still needing/wanting a new car. The one that got hurt was me, not the dealer.

That’s a good point. Honda’s motorcycles come with a one year unlimited mileage warranty. Hyundai/Kia had to come out with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty in order to compete with brands that were known for their reliability, and those companies didn’t budge on their 3 year/36,000 mile warranties.

I’d rather own a vehicle that is so reliable that it doesn’t need a long warranty than own a vehicle that has a longer warranty.

1 Like