Can I use Liquid Nails to fix a hole in my exhaust?

ford
explorersport

I have a finger sized hole that need patch work. I used the putty method but it cracked and broke off due to driving. My concerns are, if I use Liquid Nails, will it hold and will the temperature of my exhaust stand without a potential heat/fire hazard?

You’d be better off using a pair of large hose clamps (or two or three pairs connected to each other) and a crushed soda can or a piece of sheet metal, but chances are, if you’re having a rust problem now, this is just a stopgap measure, and you’re going to need a new exhaust anyway.

No no no! I was taught early on by the head mechanic at my first job to never use a soda can on your exhaust.

You need a soup can for that.

Agree with asemaster use to oil cans but being that oil comes in plastic now I think. a soup can is the next best

Geeze just fix it. Pop cans are thin aluminum with a low melting point, soup cans are steel but a lot of them have ridges for strength so you need a smooth one. Still going to leak though no matter what.

Just fix it properly!!!

Of course, the hose clamps might collapse the exhaust pipe if it is too rusty.

Over the years I’ve used both aluminum cans with clamps and exhaust repair kits from the parts store. Both are good temporary fixes, but only that.

both Advance Auto Parts and AutoZone where I live have a set of high-temp putty and some thick fabric specifically designed for the job, price is something like $10

My experience with the tape and putty is that it just burns out pretty quickly, depending on where the patch is on the pipe.

spend 17 bucks and get one of these repair clamps. It will outlast the rest of the tailpipe.

You can use the tape and putty kits on a tail pipe but not on an exhaust pipe. Still a very temporary fix.

If you use Bean Soup , do you get the beans sound effect ? :wink:

I fixed a Y pipe with a muffler patch kit that was like plaster with a fiberglass bandage. It worked for a long time. They make plastic type patch kits. Maybe not any more.

Where’s the leak located? If it’s a pipe going right up to the CATs, you can use a 4"x 6" aluminum flashing sheet from Home Depot and a couple of spring loaded hose clamps you can buy online. It’s worked well for a hole I have that I need to get fixed. The spring loaded ones will help with the expansion and contraction of the pipe from heating up and cooling down.

Sure. You can also use chewing gum, plumbers putty, or Elmers glue. Just don’t expect it to last much further than the end of your driveway.

Especially if the cause of the hole is rust… rust never sleeps, and it’s never isolated to the hole. :grin:

I once pop riveted a beer can over a rusted muffler to keep a truck on the road for a while and the patch failed to fully seal the leak and in a few days several rivets had popped out making the effort a total waste. It’s worthwhile to use an ice pick to check the bottoms of mufflers during scheduled servicing to anticipate and avoid future problems.

I’ve used a pop can in an emergency, but of you have some flashing handy that should be even better. Any patch is only a temporary fix anyway.

JB Weld???