Can I use 96 Camry fuel pressure sensor for 02 Corolla car?

curious…why is that? As long as both parts perform as expected and emission is within legal limits, I would assume it shouldn’t matter. What’s wrong with my thoughts?

You came on and asked for help. I’m not sure if you’re aware that you have been given excellent advice from some knowledgeable DIY mechanics and Professional Auto Technicians. The answer was “no.”

However, you seem to be insulting some of the helpers and persist in wanting to use the wrong part.

So, I have never done this (Well, not intentionally :wink:), purposely given bad incorrect advice, but because of your insistence, I say, “Go for it!”

All you have to lose is possibly wasting money, wasting time, screwing up your car, and breaking the law.

Outsmart everyone. Put that wrong part on there and then come back here and brag about how right you were and how great it worked!

You go, guy! May the force be with you!
CSA

3 Likes

yep, do what you want.

Personally, I wouldn’t use the wrong part to fix my car.

2 Likes

Like I asked the OP, how, in this situation, could you possibly know this?

Limited testing for compliance cannot encompass every possible scenario. The part could affect operation outside of the conditions used to simply scan your car for a brief period. Full compliance testing would be economically unfeasible and not tolerated by any consumer either. Some areas do not even do an actual physical emission test. They scan the computer for codes. The computer is not all knowing. Some parts can be exchanged, not perform the intended function correctly and the on-board system will not know. That is why they require OEM or equivalent parts be used for repairs.

That’s besides the point how he/she knows it. I am not aware of State or Federal laws that mandate certain brands or part numbers to be used. As a matter of fact, aftermarket sensors are commonly used for emission repair issues.
BTW, I do agree completely that the OP has received a ton of good information and it’s too bad he does not listen very well.

Thanks everyone for giving an opinion. I have got my answers well thought and given. Cheers!

The difference is the mounting bracket and the vent, for $9 I would give it a try. The question is how long will it last with an exposed vent if it is in a dirty location?

You are welcome, sir. I admire your contumaciously benighted repair approach and dilemmatic solutions to fairly simple, straight forward car trouble.

I’m a fairly thrifty guy. I do my own car maintenance/repairs. Are you available should I need answers to some money/labor saving car repair information?

Good day!
CSA

Good plan! That 9 bucks saved could be put toward the purchase of the correct, more expensive part when it goes belly-up.
CSA

Two years from now this car may no longer be in service.

Copied directly from the State of Texas;

Definition of “Tampering”

Tampering is removing or making inoperable any system or device used to control emissions from a motor vehicle engine. The motor vehicle is defined as any self-propelled vehicle designed for transporting persons or property on a street or highway. The only exception to the tampering rule is the need to install a new certified emission control system or device that is equally effective in reducing vehicle emissions.

Tampering may include, but is not limited to:

Removing the catalytic converter, air pump, and exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve, or doing anything to keep them from working properly, such as disconnecting vacuum lines and electrical or mechanical parts of the pollution control system.

Adjusting any element of a car or truck’s emission control design so that it no longer meets the manufacturer’s specifications.

Installing a replacement part that is not the same in design and function as the part that was originally on the vehicle.

Adding a part that was not originally certified on the car, such as installing a turbocharger.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) anti-tampering enforcement policy is covered under the provisions of Mobile Source Enforcement Memorandum No. 1A.Exit the TCEQ This policy states that the EPA will not consider any modification to a certified configuration to be a violation of federal law if there is a reasonable basis that emissions are not adversely affected. A certified configuration is an engine or engine-chassis design that has been certified or approved by the EPA to meet certain emission standards prior to the production of vehicles with that specific design. Evidence of federally approved testing must be available upon request.

Notice that “installing replacement parts” comment. Texas has emissions testing in 17 counties. Rules like this and similar ones in California specifically mean you can’t install an unapproved part in the emissions systems on the car. The federal regs are essentially identical. Tampering with emissions controls has a hefty fine. There are test procedures in CA that can verify a part does not negatively affect the emissions output allowing it to be installed on the car. Stuff like supercharger and turbocharger kits, intake manifolds, exhaust parts and such need to carry a CARB number to be allowed on the roads. I am sure Texas would accept a CARB exemption, too.

All or most states have similar provisions in their laws. The phrase that sticks out is “…or device that is equally effective in reducing vehicle emissions”. As long as the device being used performs to the same specifications and functions it is perfectly OK to use.

Tampering implies that something is being done that is illegal to circumvent the law or rules. So, by using a Camry device on a Corolla is perfectly legal as long as it performs to specifications. Am I wrong?

Please note… I am not saying that what the OP wants to do is smart.

Yes, unless you could prove it to the inspector. How would you do that?

1 Like

No

You’re using a WRONG part, which is not meant for your vehicle

Yes

You seem to be fixated by the fact that some of the numbers match. That’s a red herring. Forget it. Just buy the correct part

Yes, you are wrong

This next comment is meant for OP . . . you ran a scenario by us, and asked for advice. A number of knowledgeable people replied, including professional mechanics, some of whom perform smog inspections. And we said what you’re doing is not permitted, and you’ll fail smog, if the smog inspector sees what you did. Yet you imply WE are wrong, and you seem to think you know better than us, what’s permitted and what is not

Is it possible you were planning to do something all along, and just wanted confirmation it’s permitted and a good idea . . . ?

In that case, you weren’t truly asking a question, IMO

I prove it by passing the inspection, besides, the inspector has to proof to me that I failed and why. (at least that is how it’s supposed to work).

Tampering is tampering, whether you get caught or not

Pretty simple, no?

I missed something, in which state is the OP located?

I’m not sure he ever said . . .

All he has to do is notice an incorrect part. You have to prove it’s functionally identical. Impossible to do that in this case, I’d think.

Look, chances are slim this would ever come up. My bigger worry is that the part doesn’t work correctly.

4 Likes