Can I use 96 Camry fuel pressure sensor for 02 Corolla car?

Hello,
I have been trying to get this car passed the smog, code P0451 showed up so I need to replace the fuel pressure sensor. After searching around, I found the part for 02 Corolla (#89460-02020) is crazily expensive so I was wondering if I can use ones for Camry instead ? I assume if it starts with #89460 then it’s good right ?

The issue is the original sensor for 02 Corolla has 2 ports, one to the engine, one t

o the T junction from the evap which goes to open atmosphere while the Camry sensor has only 1 port and 1 hole.

Please help, Thanks !

My initial thought is no. The option you are looking at is for a V6 I know your corolla is a 4 cyl. which may or may not matter. It has different electrical connection, which probably matters. And last but not least any modifications to the emissions control system from the way it came from the factory is an automatic fail. But who knows maybe it will work perfectly and no one will ever know. Your money, your car, your call.

I agree with PvtPublic, why take the chance when you can get a perfectly fitting sensor on E-bay or other sources, including a dealer?

“I assume if it starts with #89460 then it’s good right ?”

The fact that the first five digits match does NOT mean that they are interchangeable.

I replaced the alternators (myself) on my 1979 Celica and my 1995 Avalon. Both alternator part numbers start with “27020”. Definitely NOT interchangeable.

What wrong did you find out when you interchanged the alternators ?

Correct fitment is available on e-bay for 109.89. I would go with it. Use your correct part number and you should come up with this item.

The part numbers are different for the fuel tank pressure sensor for a 96 Camry and an 02 Corolla.

So no.

Tester

Aside from all the other responses, replacing an emissions component with one from an older car and not designed or approved to be used on your car is considered tampering with the emissions control system. Even if it did work, if the emissions inspector were on the ball he would fail your car just for having that.

Why not just use the correct part?

2 Likes

Sorry, if the two parts turn out functionally the same, I use the cheaper part. That is not tampering with the emission system. Tampering means I cheat it so it passes, in this case, I simply choose to use an functionally equivalent part at an economical cost. I will let you know how this turns out.

I perform smog inspections for a living, as part of my duties

What you’re doing is not permitted

You fail, if you get caught

End of story

4 Likes

Usually with part numbers the first series refers to the part of the car’s system that the part belongs to. The second set of numbers indicate which specific model and year the part is designed for. The fact that the first set of numbers are the same says nothing about whether or not a part is interchangeable. All of the numbers need to match up.

As Tester mentioned, the part numbers are different. That means there is a mechanical difference in the two even if they may look the same.

You can safely assume there are differences in the electrical values which in turn are going to affect emissions.

I think you will save yourself a lot of grief by just biting the bullet and using the correct part. If nothing else why not check for a used part from LKQ or some other salvage?

2 Likes

The parts don’t even look the same :smile:

2 Likes

From the test procedures in the service manual both sensors have the same voltage output values for pressure/vacuum. The older sensor only has a hole, no connector for a hose on the second port, I believe that port is to sense atmospheric pressure.

The primary connector doesn’t go to the engine, it is connected to the fuel tank to sense vapor pressure. This is used to monitor the fuel storage system for vapor leaks. Without a functioning vapor pressure sensor the evaporative emission control monitor cannot perform it’s tests.

Use the right part. It’s not crazy money. No way somebody can tell if you if that other part might work. It’s obviously different. Very likely it WON’T work.

2 Likes

@db4690, yes I’m aware the two look different. I only mentioned that in a general way.

Just use the correct part. I’ve gotten into a few of those “try this” situations and it was more trouble than it was worth.

Yes, that is exactly the definition of tampering. If the emissions tester catches it, you fail. If he passes it and the powers that be find out, he–and the shop he works for–gets sanctions and fined. I see no one that wins by doing what you propose.

4 Likes

Sorry, no offense but are you suggesting I may have tampered with my own car, really ? The tech, the state or the MFR has the ability to give statement on part compatibility ? I am not cheating the test here, I simply use an alternative part, used part, different part, different brand, knockoff, … my choice provided the system works fine and within specs. You really got mixed up what it means by passing an emission. It has to do with -emission-.

I assume you are looking for confirmation from Toyota mechanic that part will fit and possible work? what would you do if 2 mechanics disagree on whether it would work? I will say it wont work. but I could be wrong.

How will you ever know this?